Author Topic: First piece of osage to cross my bench. Opinions please.  (Read 14386 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: First piece of osage to cross my bench. Opinions please.
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »
Wow! that is yellow isn't it. I've heard people say "yaller wood" but boy! I had a sports car that colour. That's going on my list. I guess the bow isn't that bright though.
Don

Very stand out yellow  8) Never seen anything like it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:05 am »
Be careful, that yellow will reach right out and grab you!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 07:28:54 am »
Well she is starting to bend. Amazing how I am upto my knees in yellow shavings yet when i put her back on the scales it still weights the same :o

Its out here at 48 at 19" So far its starting to show a tiny bit of change, about half inch from its original slightly deflexed profile.
I think she is going to get some heat and a tiny bit of reflex in the outers. Its only 60 inches long with a 7 inch none working handle.
Anyone take a guess at its mass? Seems to be bending a little too much mid limb right>?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:02 am »
The tiller shot in the pic looks great to my eyes Dwardo, if its too stiff anywhere its subtle as far as I can tell from here.
Thats a sweet looking osage bow you have going.  I'll be watching to see more on this one, always nice to see post of works in progress. Keep 'em coming Dwardo.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 08:53:33 am »
I dont see any issues, draw it by hand and see what she says.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:55 am »
I would agree with you on the right limb though it's debatable.  Might change it when drawn by hand.  Looking very nice!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 11:27:36 am »
It looks good, no hinges but the innermost 1/3 of the limb is stiff, stiffer than the other limb At least
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Stringman

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:51 am »
I wouldnt touch the right midlimb. A few scrapes to the inner and outer should put you right. Overall the thing looks awesome! It obvious you are taking your time and enjoying this one! Patience is the key.

mikekeswick

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 05:53:26 am »
Looking sweet so far!
The problem I see is the inner right limb is a shade stiff this is making the mid limb bend a little too much.
Scrape/file a wee smidge off out of the fade/inner limb - on your tillering board the first three boxes out of the right fade...feathered into the beginning of the mid limb.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:20 am »
Thanks for the input chaps.
I had not looked at this bow since my last post. Picked it up today and the thickness taper in the fade explains it all. Its fine one side but a few mm thicker on the other, stands out a mile.
Hope to get it bending again soon but our little boy has a bad cough and not sleeping. So mostly watching family guy at 3.am  and trying to sleep wither side of that!

Providing all goes well I will be backing this bow with silk, either white or black as i have good quality raw silk strips spare.
The back has several drying checks which whilst I dont think they will cause any problems they are ugly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:42:59 am by dwardo »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:02 pm »
Quick update. Lots of ibuprofen/supports and she is finally shooting. Mid to late 50`s at 26/27.
No full draw as I have given up on the board after 20" draw as it never seems to work quite as well in the hand. When the better half has more patience I will ask her to get the camera out.
Little hand shock to sort out but most of that will be lost when i reduce the temp nocks and outers and adjust the timing a bit. Nice to be scraping wood again.
I have chased an inch of follow forwards and backwards with this bow but i dont think its changed much more than an inch from its original shape. Varying prop twist has made this fun.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:37:22 pm by dwardo »

Offline bubby

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »
looking real nice dwardo, I don't know what all the fuss is with getting someone to snap a pic , I do all my f/d pics with the timer, just watch the red light and when it starts to blink fast draw, after a little practice you will be getting it in the first shot, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dwardo

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 04:55:25 am »
looking real nice dwardo, I don't know what all the fuss is with getting someone to snap a pic , I do all my f/d pics with the timer, just watch the red light and when it starts to blink fast draw, after a little practice you will be getting it in the first shot, bub

I need a another camera besides my phone bub. It's hard to get it to stand up properly due to its shape.
Also doesn't help that it's dark at 4 these days. Excuses aside will sort one out today or tomorrow when the little man is out with his mar for the day and daddy gets some daylight hours playing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 07:57:30 am »
You have a winner there dwardo.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
As promised.

Just some mass at the tips and think about how to tart her up. No idea on that side with it being bright yellow! Its a fashion nightmare.