Author Topic: experiment - milkweed fibre backing  (Read 4754 times)

Offline campx

experiment - milkweed fibre backing
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:19 pm »
Soooo, my brain is trying to kill me...the bowmaking bug is back.
Building a recurved bow out of a Douglas maple sapling, 1-1/8" at the widest, 44" long, for my 8 year old girl.  It had a lot of natural reflex in one tip, so I did some heat bending on the other tip.  I tried some Knox gelatin glue for the first time, along with some rawhide from the mule deer I took last year, and it was a failure.  Too hot, surface contamination on the bow, I dunno, but there was no way the rawhide was sticking....
So, I have a bunch of milkweed from stuff I cut this fall.   Stripped the fibres out, man that stuff is STRONG!  Used Titebond II to glue a bunch of fibres right down the middle of the back.  Currently curing, will test it out when it sets.......anyone else ever tried milkweed fibres for backing?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: experiment - milkweed fibre backing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:19 pm »
Off the top of my head I can't remember seeing that posted in here recently.  I have seen some folks making nice milkweed fiber bowstrings, though. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:34 pm »
I can't speak from experience, but I imagine it should work well. I've read somewhere about flax fiber making a good backing, and even potentially overpowering the belly if its too thick. I would expect most bast fibers to behave similarly.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline campx

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »
I only just stumbled over the properties of milkweed this fall.  I tried the "2 strand reverse wrap" technique for the 1st time, braiding some tiny bracelets for my girls...I tried breaking one and all it did was cut into my hands, tuff stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »
Well, there ya go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:47 am »
Milkweed yields very strong fibers. My only fear is, like someone already mentioned, it will overpower the belly of the bow and cause a compression failure.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:46 am »
If its even close to flax strength it oughta work good.. I flax backed a qestionable osage bow and i geuss i used more than needed cuz it drastically changed the tiller and added 8-9#'s of draw wieght... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:03:52 am »
But.... Its still holding and placed in the Clout shoot at Mojam a few yrs ago, lol... I believe it helped the cast quite a bit IMO.. I laid down 3 layers with  TB3 but i believe 1 layer would have been sufficient... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline campx

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »
The milkweed fibres went on smooth. 
Used TB2, sized the back first, then started laying down the longer fibres I had on hand (6-10inches long).  Once I had built up a bit of a ridge, I used Suranwrap to squish it all down and smoothed it out.  Let it cure overnight, and it looks pretty good. 
Then I cut some strips of giraffe-print cotton fabric that I found at Wallyworld, and glued that on.  Waited for that to cure.  Put the string on, had to adjust the tiller a bit. 
Good news......my 8 year old girl can pull it, and it didnt blow up!  I'll get pics up when I get home from work.......

Offline campx

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:09:05 am »
Some photos....
Top limb needs a few scrapes.  Gonna take a bit of un-needed mass off of the levers.  Wrap a handle on and let the kid shoot it..........she just turned 9 today, time for a bigger bow.

Maya's bow by CampX, on Flickr

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:33:38 am »
That looks great!  I will have to try milkweed - it will save me the trouble of growing my own flax...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:03 am »
There were a few guys at the Tenn Classic a few years ago that backed bows with raw flax and TBII. That seemed to work well for them. I would use it sparingly so it doen't overpower the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:39:18 pm »
That's a nice one. Thanks for the idea. I can't find any milkweed in my area, but I've got tons of thisle,  so ill be trying that.
Always learning something new.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
Verry interesting! 

Where does one get get raw flax?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:23 pm »
Weavers supply shop maybe Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC