Author Topic: Rawhide backing  (Read 1676 times)

Don Case

Rawhide backing
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
After messing with my rawhide test I was wondering if a rawhide  backing adds any reflex to a bow?
Don

Offline adb

Re: Rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
Short answer... no. Certainly nothing like sinew. Rawhide will protect a bow's back if any less than ideal tension issues exist... violated rings, knot, etc.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »
What adb said. I think thicker rawhide might offer some performance but its physical weight would negate that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline echatham

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:40 pm »
would it hold in reflex if the bow is reverse strung while the rawhide is applied and the glue dries?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
That works for laminations. Only one way to find out.  I tried stringing a bow backwards and then just applying glue, no bacing or anything just glue it held 2" reflex until I shot it and it went back to straight.  But give it a try.  ;)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:24 pm »
I've done rawhide backings glued up in reflex a few times.   I think it adds a little bit of performance vs. Gluing it on flat, but nowhere near what you get from sinew or wood backings.

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:21:12 am »
It was either Nagler or Klopsteg in the 40s that took a rawhide backed bow and measured it, then took the backing off and measured it again. The draw weight went down, but the draw weight per mass of bow went up. Both differences were only slight of course, but still...

But for the sake of safety, rawhide is worth it I think.
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:45:00 am »
No, its not very elastic at all. Its great for protection, but not performance. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 10:14:32 am »
If I recall correctly (always a question...), TBB mentions that rawhide can either pull a bow into mild reflex or hold it there.  I think they mentioned you needed to use real hide glue or some such thing to allow the contraction, as opposed to TB, as it functions a little differently and does not permit the contraction while drying as hide glue does. 

But, I could be way off.  Either way, it's a great backing material.