Author Topic: Ohio 8 pointer  (Read 10937 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Ohio 8 pointer
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:45:24 am »
I just got back from a 5 day hunt with Whitefeather- Matt Fout. He invited me and my buddy Dax and his boy up to his place in hopes of connecting with a deer. Matt had some natural ground blinds set up for us and we were seeing a few deer from distances too far, but the rut hadn't heated up yet. Second to last morning I decided to switch things up and go mobile. I had watched a small 4 point walk across a higher ridge so I planned on setting up on top of it. I was making my way up when I heard a deer coming my way through a thicket. Through the tangle of branches I saw antlers and as he drew closer I could see it was a very nice 9 point. I had him at 20 yards or less for several minutes but just never got a shot. he eventually circled around me leaving my arrow still nocked on the string.  I continued my stalk to the ridge where I stood against a tree in a thicket of Pawpaw  pinched between a couple blow downs and the ridge top. It made for a nice funnel so I just stood still, happy with my location. 3 minutes didn't pass until I heard another deer coming. It was this little basket racked 8 pt. He  walked the ridge edge just as planned. Just in front of me, 15 yards or so, he took a long pause looking and smelling his surroundings. I was sure he would spot me since I was not in a blind and I was relying on my lack of movement to keep me hid. With a flick of his tail, he continued on. I followed him with my bow as he walked. at 10 yards and broadside, clear of the tangle of saplings, I put the sticks to him and I watched him bound off down the hill.  The shot was a little behind the heart and I was not overly happy with the placement. I found blood and noticed there was a very followable trail of bright blood. To be sure I let him go for several hours and returned later in the evening. Matt and I followed the very easy blood trail for about 350 yards and found him in a tangle of logs at the base of a Beech tree where he needed an unfortunate finishing off. Then came the long drag back to Matt's cabin through the rocks, briars and steep terrain.  While he isn't that big 9 pointer that I had encountered earlier, I am very pleased with my little 8 point and I am grateful for the opportunity to hunt with Matt at his beautiful place!   The selfmade gear that did the deed was my Osage selfbow, cane arrow and stone point.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Ohio 8 pointer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
Nice buck, congrats!
It sounds like it was a fun hunt.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:43:14 am »
Awesome Ryan!  Enjoyed getting the photo last night.  Sounds like you had a great time!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:04:28 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:30:08 am »
Great job!

I failed to connect this year with my bow, but reading stories like this keeps the hope alive for next year.

Patrick

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:53 pm »
Nicely done Ryan. Taking that deer at eye level with primitive gear had to be exciting, congrats on a nice kill and a fine buck.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »
You got shoes on and that ain't FLA.  ;) Another great story w/ a happy ending, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:53 pm »
Congratulations on a fine whitetail Ryan!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »
Nice deer Ryan, congrats!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »
Well played, it's not easy to take a deer at ground level and close range but you seem to have the knack for it....Congrats
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:23:36 pm »
Great job! 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:02:01 am »
Great job. What kind of penetration did you get?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:52 am »
thanks guys.

Marks- I got equal arrow out both sides of the deer. 
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:22:01 am »
Good deal!!  Good story and deer.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 08:47:15 am »
Great story, awesome buck,  I love it when people share their stories and pictures. Thank you for taking your time to do so.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 08:48:32 am »
Nice deer Ryan. Sounds like it was worth the looong drive norf!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.