Author Topic: Arrow length  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Archeress

Arrow length
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:40 am »
G'day all...heres a question for youse.  something i have honestly never given much thought to. I am making a set of low spined arrows for a friend.  She is drawing a 30 pound recurve.  Now..i am using 5 inch turkey fletches and probably 100 g field points.  any idea what length the arrow from nock to point should be ?..does it matter?  I doubt if she will ever shoot more than 30 metre targets. 

I bought a dozen cedar shafts..they are 32 inches long...just leave them?.  or cut them down a little ?.
Archeress is a long way from home

Offline adb

Re: Arrow length
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:59:24 am »
A 'standard' arrow, to maintain original spine, is 28" from valley of nock to base of head, with a 125 gn head. Shorter than that with a lighter head increases spine (stiffer) and longer than that with a heavier head decreases spine (less stiff).

What is her draw length? Make the arrow 1" longer than the shooters draw length, and then fine tune arrow flight by changing point weight. Arrows impacting left are too stiff, arrows impacting right are too soft.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
What is the indicated spine of the shafts you bought, Archeress?  Shafts, at least in the US, are sold spined for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point like adb said. For each inch under 28 you can add 5# of spine weight. For 100 gr heads you can probably add another 5# of spine weight.  So if your shafts are spined at 30#-35# and you cut them to 26"(add 10#) and you use the 100gr point(add 5#) the effective spine weight of the arrows would be 45#-50#. You can leave the arrows longer and it will reduce the effective spine weight by 5# per inch over 28".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »
What Pat B said..............
But what ever you do don't do it to all of the shafts until you get one that shoots well,  then copy it.  :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Archeress

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:14:33 am »
hi all..thanks for the info..good stuff.  yeah well i left them at 30 inches due to the fact they flew really straight with no deviation. 

on another note..i bought 2 dozen douglas fir arrows shafts..oh mannn they are beeeutiful.  With a coat of "tru oil" they have come up all shiny and smooth and bring out the grain wonderfully.  shot them yesterday from 20 to 60 metres.  straight as.   Going to buy 2 more dozen tomorrow.
Archeress is a long way from home