Author Topic: Osage bow(pipe dream)  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Osage bow(pipe dream)
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
This is a takedown in making. 62" ttt. I was wondering about the little twist it has. I figure on getting it bending and seeing what it needs. If I have to take it out or not. The billets are from one log. Ones a belly split the other is the sapwood side. Both have matching natural reflex and twist. Let me know what u think
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:49:36 am by Blaflair2 »
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Osage take down bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:00:07 am »
Nice looking set of billets and you shouldn't have any problems getting minor correction to make a nice bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:21:58 am »
I made the sleeve. I'm working on taking out the play. I have one more set but not as symmetrical. Fun project. I started it and got it to floor tiller last night. It's 1 1/4" from fades to 10" from tip the goes to 1/2". As long as my sleeve is good I think it's gonna be sweet.

The sleeve is a closet rod.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:24:47 am »
Also the side profile is before the bow was roughed out. Right after I attached sleeves. Post more pics later

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:06 am »
You can easily make prop twist corrections with heat as you advance your tillering. Osage responds nicely. Is your take down sleeve plastic?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
No it's metal.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 02:26:44 pm »
Well I didn't like the way the sleeve for together. Now in messing with a different idea. May not make it come apart. I dunno. Kinda bummed. Its looking really good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:58:55 pm »
Good luck with the coupling sleeve!

As for the side profile???  Oh Lordy my oh my.  Treat this one right or the bow gods may just send you a full order of karma with a side of bad juju for the disrespect!  I can't wait to see how she turns out. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 03:12:21 pm »
I'm trying. Lol. I have it all roughed out and floor tillered. Just trying to lock in my design for the sleeves and if It's coming apart or not

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:06 am »
So here she is with a PVC takedown sleeve. Thinking about reinforcing with f word tape  O:)

The side profile is sexy after I took the twist and straightened it a bit. Let me know what u guys think. Specially about the PVC and f word

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:24:17 am »
A PVC sleeve? Be careful with your eyes and face.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 11:26:23 am »
Also was wondering if the glued on leather would make it a little stronger. So I don't have to use the f word.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 11:29:39 am »
Id skip the plastic sleeves. They are made from brass and steel for some great reasons. Can you splice and glue the billets together?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:35 am »
My bandsaw is an old turd and kinda wonky. Don't cut much straight lines. Well none actually. I have a piece of steel pipe I was thinking of using. I honestly don't care if it doesn't come apart but I can't afford a good sleeve and didn't wanna fudge this billets up. Something about the bend I couldn't waste. I was thinking of just using the pipe and putting a pin in and glueing it all together. No was also thinking of another idea :

Getting a piece of 3/4" OD and a pice of 3/4" ID copper and two 3/4" ID couplings w/o stops and putting around the 4" piece of 3/4" ID. The use the 2" piece of 3/4" OD for the other part of the sleeve. Would double walled copper work?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 11:43:40 am »
Get a piece of 1 1/2" ID steel pipe. Put it in a vice and flatten it down to your liking. Get some GOOD steel/wood epoxy and make a permanent union.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:48:45 am by PEARL DRUMS »