Author Topic: I don't know how you inland people do it!  (Read 4714 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

I don't know how you inland people do it!
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
One of my favorite places in the whole wide world is the open ocean.  I got the chance this Summer to go 15 miles out and swim with some of the ocean life.  The shear amount of bizarre life out there in mind blowing.  Here's some of what I saw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZboratKio&feature=share&list=TLPvCt8ICv0wxVKLwiXc_SnEjCZQnN8I1_
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: I don't know how you inland people do it!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »
I spent a lot of years of my life on that coast, fishing, surfing and diving. The nice thing I like about the center of the state is I'm surrounded by Public hunting land and I am 1 1/2 hours from the Atlantic and 45 minutes to the Gulf. Then there's a river full of coral and chert 20 minutes from the house and another the same amount of time away full of mastodon, mammoth saber tooth tiger fossils and tons of sharks teeth, not counting the artifacts, either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lemos

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »
Ummm! No! Have you not seen Jaws!  I personnely can not do the whole open ocean thing, some people fear snakes ,some spiders, with me it's deep blue.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:56 am »
Ummm! No! Have you not seen Jaws!  I personnely can not do the whole open ocean thing, some people fear snakes ,some spiders, with me it's deep blue.
  I haven't seen jaws.  It feels so good to be free and vulnerable in the open ocean.  Swimming in it is like floating around in space!  It's an amazing feeling!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:59:14 am »
  Dun, dunt,,,dun,dunt,,,,dun,dunt,dun,dunt,dun,dunt,dunduntdunduntdunduntdunduntdunduntdunduntdunduntdundunt :D :D :D :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 03:18:04 pm »
I have a friend that does lots of ocean deep water free diving. He spent 2 winters ago in Baja and came back with some incredible pics and stories; like swimming with a whale shark and manta rays and having humpbacks come up from the deep near him while he was 40' down.
  Where in central coastal Fla are you. I went to college in Jensen Beach but that was 40 years ago.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »
Always wanted to free dive with killer whales.  Those blackfish, as some of the Pac Northwest peoples call them, are amazingly beautiful creatures.  Once I thought it was a rather risky and daring idea.  But recently I found out that of the 70+ attacks recorded on humans, EVERY one was from a captive killer whale.  Apparently, the captivity is unhealthy for their psychological wellbeing as well as their keeper's health!

Cool vid, PrimTim.  I gotta say, you throw yourself wholeheartedly into life, doncha?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 03:37:58 pm »
Pat, Tims just north of Cocoa. When I lived in Lake Worth and did a lot of diving and spear fishing, you just had to go a mile out of Boynton Inlet and you were off the Cliff. I dropped off the back side , not thinking while I was lobstering  untill I started getting cold and looked at my Depth gauge and saw I was at a 110'.
deepest I've ever been and when I looked down, it was as close as I would get to what it was like to be in Outer Space.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
JW, it would piss me off to tossed into a swimming pool after having the whole Pacific Ocean. I'd eat everyone that came into the pool till they let me go.

Or the Government said I was toooo, unsafe to release. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »
Pat, Tims just north of Cocoa. When I lived in Lake Worth and did a lot of diving and spear fishing, you just had to go a mile out of Boynton Inlet and you were off the Cliff. I dropped off the back side , not thinking while I was lobstering  untill I started getting cold and looked at my Depth gauge and saw I was at a 110'.
deepest I've ever been and when I looked down, it was as close as I would get to what it was like to be in Outer Space.

Except in many ways we know less about the depths than Outer Space! 

Feel a little excited when you discovered your depth, mullet?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »
Yea, around 100-110, Narcossis starts., Good it starts getting cold around there in the summer.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:52:06 pm »
Something else I would love to see underwater is a couple of billfish corralling a school of baitfish up and feeding!  I hear that the billfish do quite a show changing electric colors in their skins. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 04:03:54 pm »
I've never seen that, but I saw a "migration"? of thousands of Barracuda while I was going back to the boat from about 60'. It was unreal. I swam to the surface through them, bumping them with my arms across my chest, slowly. They were not aggressive and seemed to have their own purpose for moving together. But, it was cool after I got to the boat, not during it with fish on a stringer. That area off of Boynton and Lakeworth is about as close as the Gulf Stream comes to the coast.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
No sense irritating 'cudas.  I would, however love to play a few out on the end of a line!  That and have one in my driveway...British racing green with black and gold pinstriping!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 07:30:10 pm »
whale shark and manta rays and having humpbacks
  Those are all on my bucket list especially the whale shark.  I've had manta rays go right under my kayak and I usually see them jumping off in the distance while I'm out in the ocean.  Northern right whales come down off of our coast to calve in the winter so I might go look for those but it's illegal to get within like 500 feet or something like that. 

I would totally hop in with some killer whales but they tend to hang out in really really cold water!  Filming any type of fish, especially sailfish, tearing up a school of bait would be awesome as well!