Author Topic: What type of pressure pad?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline knapperhead

What type of pressure pad?
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:28:43 pm »
I have a square block of rubber with a channel carved into it. It seems bulky and un-natural in the hand so I usually just double up the leather pad and use that. The only problem is the flakes stop short, either from contact with the pad or poor technique. I was curious what some of y'all use.
Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:49:01 pm by knapperhead »

Stringman

Re: What type of pressure pad?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:31:52 pm »
Here's a look at the one I'm using.

I find that if I use anything bigger I begin to snap points because there is too much contact with the point.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »
I used to use a leather pad but cut my left index finger a couple of years ago and it hurt too bad to bend that tight.  I now use a rubber pad, some sort of conveyor material I think, and it seems to work pretty good.  I have slot cut in one side like you mentioned, but when I notch I use the bottom of it w/o a notch. That's what works for me.  I got the material from a great guy here on PA flintknapping page.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:32:33 pm »
I agree with stringman I use a piece of 23/32" hardwood plywood that is cut into an oval and sanded slightly into a dome at the top with a notch cut in it. i domed the top so it only makes contact with the pad where I'm applying pressure. I also glued leather to it....I'm sure it's not the best and kinda ghetto but works pretty good and I don't break a lot.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:26 pm »
I use a rubber pad with a grove cut in it.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:07:31 pm »
I use a variety of pads, but mostly a slotted pad. The black ones are from truck mud flaps or conveyor belts. Sometimes I put leather on top of those or any pad. The brown ones are plywood, aluminum and leather on top - fancy! The way I pressure flake seems to destroy the pad and eat through the wood on bottom, so I added the layer of aluminum and glued them up with contact adhesive then cut and sanded to shape. I am thinking about sloping the edges down on either side of the slot because I break a lot of tips off points by getting pressure on them.

According to Jim Winn, when a flake you are removing touches the pad, it stops - hence the popularity of slotted pads. I have also heard that soft leather in contact with the point makes a flake travel further, but I am unsure if that is really true since I almost always avoid knapping on soft leather.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
thanks for the input and photos. i like the idea of the domed pad. I guess I just need to work on my technique and maybe widen the groove a little more.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »
Me too, Thanks. Good post
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
Just an interesting tidbit note to my leather covered pads. I used to work at a historic cotton museum and we were rebuilding a late 1800s cotton gin. The main drive belt was leather, buffalo leather in fact and was about 2' wide, 20' long and about 3/8 th inch thick. We had to cut the belt and guess what I did with the scrap! It makes great knapping pads.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:29 pm »
I use a domed pad:

Or a rolled pad:

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:10 am »
Im with patrick i either rooled pad or something domed i did get a cool rubber over aluminum pad from outbackbob when i was a the calssic a few years ago i use that alot also. It has a channel in it andni had a rubber covayer belt pad from tower that my dog ran off with and i could never find lol. For me it more preference what ever works to get the result i want my flakes are just as long with a grooved pad or a rolled up piece of leather i think it all boils down to technique if your skilled enough you can use just abouy any pad to push a good  flake 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995