Author Topic: Crack and Twist...  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Crack and Twist...
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:14 am »
No, crack and twist isn't some new dance move the teenagers are doing today...

I bought a bow from *cough, cough* and when it came, it looked great, but after shooting about a dozen arrows from it, it cracked...
It has been heavily polyurethaned, so is there a fix for this, like backing it, or should I return it to *cough/cough* ??? I'm worried that if I sand it down to try to lay down some linen, the glue won't absorb into the oak because of how deeply that polyurethane absorbs...

Also, a friend of ours bought some arrows from the same *cough, cough* and she got 9 out of 12 arrows that looked like the one below...

OK, the bows cost about $140 a piece, and the dozen arrows were over $100. What do I do??? This is a reputable seller online who claims to "shoots his bows at least 200 times before shipping them to a customer." Do you not think that he would have noticed a crack on the back of a bow and severe twisting in the arrows?

"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Crack and Twist...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:55:47 am »
Not good and certainly a poor representation. PM me who you bought it from, if you would. I like to keep mental data bases.

The bow is junk, for the most part. Lord knows if those arrows can be straightened completely, never seen one that bad. Its a real shame.

Im sorry for your luck
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »
Sorry....but you got ripped off....can you contact the seller and return the stuff and get a refund? I'd even take a partial refund,and would not want a "replacement" set...its clear its junk IMO...n looks like you learned a valuable lesson....next time ask here if so n so is reputable or not...you paid 140$ for a cracked 7$ board...just another case of you can say and be anything you want online

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »
Well ya might be able to straighten the arrows but I'm not sure and the bow you definetly got ripped off realize that you paid 140$ for a cracked board That you probably could've made your own self
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »
Gotta question....How were the arrows packaged? I know arrows can move from climate change,but not that fast or that much in that amount of time....my only thought is that they were improperly packaged and something heavy sat on them in the back of a delivery truck? Was the container they were in squished, or shown sign of any creases?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »
hlstanley....That's just wrong..Plain and simple.Could ya PM me the seller so I know too good or bad.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 01:26:12 pm »
I have the name Ed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »
I've had the same problem with some online dealers of wooden bows.  My girlfriend went and bought me a bow for my birthday, without consulting me first, because I always leave the site open on her computer.  So it came, and within 100 shots it developed cracks in the bottom limb, which I tried to fix, but to no avail.  More cracks popped up in different places and it eventually broke clean through.  We got our money back, minus the shipping.  I was even more surprised because my draw length (26") is well below the max (28")   I took that money and bought another bow, which I though would be better.  After a few weeks, I noticed it had been taking more and more string follow after a day of shooting and then I noticed huge sections of chyrsals in the top limb.  I'm sticking to my own bows from now on. 

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
Gotta question....How were the arrows packaged? I know arrows can move from climate change,but not that fast or that much in that amount of time....my only thought is that they were improperly packaged and something heavy sat on them in the back of a delivery truck? Was the container they were in squished, or shown sign of any creases?

The bow was shipped in a large PVC pipe, and the arrows were stuffed in around the bow... Not the best choice for shipping for sure, but the pipe didn't show any signs of misuse.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »
I'll never make this mistake again... I COULD have made the bow that I needed by myself for sure, but this was one of those very rare occassions where I actually had the money on hand to buy a bow, but I didn't have time to make one before we went off to our public shoot and demonstration...

Oh, well, live and learn I guess...

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »
Wow. That is bad. Really I don't think anybody should charge that much for a board and that much for some arrows that are bent in a 45 degree angles almost. That is sad. Get a refund and I would say make a bow. The only person you can believe in 100%, is yourself. If you really don't have enough time, I would say look for a guy on here willing to make you one.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:00 am »
Wow. That is bad. Really I don't think anybody should charge that much for a board and that much for some arrows that are bent in a 45 degree angles almost. That is sad. Get a refund and I would say make a bow. The only person you can believe in 100%, is yourself. If you really don't have enough time, I would say look for a guy on here willing to make you one.

Just curious... What should be charged for a well made board bow?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:52:03 am »
I believe there is an error in your question, respectfully.  The seller can ask whatever price he wishes for his bows, or any other product.  If he asks for more than folks are willing to pay, he won't sell anything and will have to drop his price until his product does sell.  The question should be what am I willing to pay for this item.  Buyers responsibility to do their homework and make that determination.  I don't think you necessarily paid too much for a board bow.  You were simply done wrong at any price.  Demand your money back including shipping IMO.   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:19 am »
I believe there is an error in your question, respectfully.  The seller can ask whatever price he wishes for his bows, or any other product.  If he asks for more than folks are willing to pay, he won't sell anything and will have to drop his price until his product does sell.  The question should be what am I willing to pay for this item.  Buyers responsibility to do their homework and make that determination.  I don't think you necessarily paid too much for a board bow.  You were simply done wrong at any price.  Demand your money back including shipping IMO.

Oh, yeah, trust me, the bow is going back tomorrow morning. And I'm wrapping masking tape around the bow on either side of the crack to emphasize the thing.

I do have another motive for asking about pricing board bows though... I'm beginning to introduce the sport of target archery into the hobby of Civil War Reenacting, and I've been asked by a bunch of folks who want to get started if I'd make their bows for them. Well, I don't have a problem with that, but I'm clueless as to what "market demand" is for prices. I make very simple board bows, but they are period correct according to some original photographs we've seen... I've got about $10 of wood, and about 9 hours of work in them. (the hickory backed jatoba, just a tad more in materials) Any ideas?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:27 am »
As much as you can get.  If you feel good about it as do the people that you are making them for then everyone's a winner.  I know that is not the answer you were looking for but it's the best one I've got.  Cool pictures by the way.  Good luck in your venture.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.