Author Topic: R/D BBO  (Read 7931 times)

Offline tom sawyer

R/D BBO
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:53:44 pm »
This is one of three bamboo-backed osage bows I'm making for some people, its the first one totally done.  This one is for the teen-age son of a co-worker, a Christmas present.  Its around 55lb@28".  I did a RIT dye on it, green fading to orange fading to russet at the handle.  Finished with tung oil finish.  The handle has a hickory power lam under an elm handle piece, the other two I didn't dye because this is a pretty wood combo.  The color job looks good too though.  I put a green leather handle on it, the leather I harvested from an old couch in a dumpster.  I'm getting $50 for it, covers the cost of materials and a little bit extra.  I think they are geting a fair deal, its not a quality of the commercial people but should be a good shooter for the young man.  The kid is a hunter, I hope he kills a deer with it next year.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: R/D BBO
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:05:52 pm »
Nice bow Lennie. It is worth 4x $50 as far as I'm concerned. Good for you!!! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:07:43 pm »
   Yep, Lennie you are really a nice guy.cool bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:52:17 am »
 Lennie, that looks great! I bet that young man will put a lot of food on the table with it..

Rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:47:49 am »

hey lenny!  -  how about some details??
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 05:28:24 am »
man what a beautiful bow, love that r/d design too. hey where do you get your dye? the more i see this type of finish the more i want to try it :D good job on the tiller too.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 06:09:39 am »
Sweet looking bow lennie, he should be happy with that and at $50 its a steal.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:33 am »
Thanks people, its not the quality of many of your all's bows but its a decent effort for me.  I glued it up with resorcinol glue.  I got on a roll this summer and glued up twelve blanks,  couple of them have lousy glue lines but I still have plenty to work on.  Did backing to belly first and am finishing power lams and handles as I progress.  Laced the handle on with linen thread and a baseball stitch, slid a wedge of hedge in under the leather for a shelf.

I said RIT but this is Feibings leather dye (changing that in original post), bought from an archery supplies dealer but they have it at the local boot store as well.  I paint it on with the little brush that comes with the bottle, then fade the colors in between using a rag with a little acetone or alcohol on it.  I've done the same thing with RIT from the grocery store dissolved in alcohol.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 10:36:35 am »
Hi,
NICE BOW!! Tiller looks spot-on. $50??? Can you make me one?!! Don't be ashamed for charging $50!! You're giving it away.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:19 am »
Nice idea with the hickory power lam.    Did I miss the length of the bow in your posts?

Dave

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:46:21 am »
Oops I did forget that.  I think its about 66" tip/tip, 1.25" to midlimb.  I leave'em long so any long-armers that want a bow can have one.  That and it gives a measure of safety as far as stressing limbs.  It always worries me a little to sell one of these things, I give a money-back guarantee but so far nobody has broken a bow.  A couple of people have shot them quite a bit too.  Several others don't put them to much use, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:16:34 am by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:29 am »
Good job Lennie.  Cheaper than a video game and of much more value.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 11:14:18 am »
That is a steal in my opinion - nice bow!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 12:54:42 pm »
Not many backed bows so far this month but your's is a dandy. Bookmarked for Backed Bow of the Month, for sure.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 01:28:54 pm »
Lennie, that's a fine looking weapon. Tiller, profile, finish, I like it all. Any chance of a bigger/more detailed pic of the dye job?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.