Author Topic: Laminated bow layout  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Mad Max

Laminated bow layout
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »
I made a form to make laminated bows. I would like you guys to put your 2 cents worth in on the layout
of the tapper of the limbs.????

I am thinking 62" NTN  or is that to short  and a 12" riser

What do you think the width of the limb need to be at A???

How wide should the limbs be at the fades and should it be tapered from the fades B

or straight for how many inches before tapering C ????

Thanks guys    :P ;D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:15:42 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bow101

Re: Laminated bow layout
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:02:06 pm »
My 2 cents worth, maybe have more than a 12" riser, 3/4" width at A, for a wood only bow.  She seems like a tough build at 62" NTN for me anyway.     Tradgang has tons of stuff on forms and such.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:04:58 pm »
My 2 cents worth, maybe have more than a 12" riser, 3/4" width at A, for a wood only bow.  She seems like a tough build at 62" NTN for me anyway.     Tradgang has tons of stuff on forms and such.
I am questioning  62" myself ,  If not 62" how long??
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:06 pm »
move

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:23:28 am »
There's still a lot of unknown variables. What wood(s)? What desired drawweight? What drawlength? How much reflex? What is your laminating experience?
62" is doable, but really pushing it for 28". You would need a lowish drawweight and excellent woods for a 62" all wood bow.
When looking at the side profile, it appears to have a LOT of reflex. Much more than I would feel comfortable with. It's not true that a bow will be better with as much reflex as possible. Too much reflex creates its own problems, lateral instability for one. With this design, I would either deflex the handle to maintain the recurved tips (Marc StLouis style). Or I would reduce the recurved tips to reflexed tips. Either way, aim for maximum 3" of total reflex. However, if you insist on this side profile as pictured, make the limbs 2½" wide at B tapering to 1½" at A. Such side limbs will maintain lateral stability.

I probable made it even more confusing for you now!  >:D
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:53:32 am »
There's still a lot of unknown variables. What wood(s)? What desired drawweight? What drawlength? How much reflex? What is your laminating experience?
62" is doable, but really pushing it for 28". You would need a lowish drawweight and excellent woods for a 62" all wood bow.
When looking at the side profile, it appears to have a LOT of reflex. Much more than I would feel comfortable with. It's not true that a bow will be better with as much reflex as possible. Too much reflex creates its own problems, lateral instability for one. With this design, I would either deflex the handle to maintain the recurved tips (Marc StLouis style). Or I would reduce the recurved tips to reflexed tips. Either way, aim for maximum 3" of total reflex. However, if you insist on this side profile as pictured, make the limbs 2½" wide at B tapering to 1½" at A. Such side limbs will maintain lateral stability.

Pretty much what I would say...except i think you can start with more than 3" of total setback if using quality materials ...and if you are 5" or so is about the max you'd want to go..cant tell ya widths until ya answer those questions?

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:40:25 am »
I am going to use Hickory backing with 3 bamboo cores, all about .070 thick,   and a osage belly.
not sure how many pounds i am going to get out of it,  the second one i would know more.
I am going to use epoxy and hot box
For myself with my disability 35# max at 28"
 with the reflex it is 7 1/2" from nock to belly at the fades.   If i take the reflex out, it would be 5" from nock to belly (and could be less by moving the nock) like the LONGHORN started at 5", the longhorn has some deflex in it.
 62"   I am not set on a length  yet.
I am trying to build a performance bow that shoots like a heaver bow for deer hunting because i think 30 to 35# is a little lite.
I have had a thickness sander and band saw for years, so resawing and sanding are no problem. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:29:49 pm by Mad Max »

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
Why do you want to use three (bamboo) core laminates? One lam would be plenty, as long as it's thick enough. Also, what type of bamboo do you want to use? The hickory backing and osage belly sound perfect for this kind of bow.
I usually refrain from any hunting-related questions...but 30-35# for deer hunting sounds illegal to me. Check your local laws to make sure you meet the required poundage for hunting.
62" would be rather short for the design you pictured. Myself, I might go to 64", but would probably stick to 66". You have a stiff handle, and apparently not too much laminating experience. But like I said: 62" is doable. It's all a trade-off and one big balance: good materials, versus little experience, versus extreme design, versus low draw weight, versus short bow length... It's not set in stone but all factors are related to one another.

I'd still recommend you to lower the amount of reflex to even less than 5". A lot of reflex does not automatically create "a performance bow that shoots like a heaver bow".
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »
Why do you want to use three (bamboo) core laminates? One lam would be plenty, as long as it's thick enough. Also, what type of bamboo do you want to use? The hickory backing and osage belly sound perfect for this kind of bow.
I usually refrain from any hunting-related questions...but 30-35# for deer hunting sounds illegal to me. Check your local laws to make sure you meet the required poundage for hunting.
62" would be rather short for the design you pictured. Myself, I might go to 64", but would probably stick to 66". You have a stiff handle, and apparently not too much laminating experience. But like I said: 62" is doable. It's all a trade-off and one big balance: good materials, versus little experience, versus extreme design, versus low draw weight, versus short bow length... It's not set in stone but all factors are related to one another.

I'd still recommend you to lower the amount of reflex to even less than 5". A lot of reflex does not automatically create "a performance bow that shoots like a heaver bow".

No laws in Mississippi for poundage,     I have 2 bamboo cores from Bingham they were .110 thick, they don't want to bend in the recurve form, so i reduced them to .070 and added 1
66" or 64" would be fine, and i can go without the reflex. I heat bent the osage .
the bamboo seamed to be to stiff.
I have made a few tri lams, but nothing with this much recurve.

I was a master Tool and Die and Machinest for 30 years, That does not mean I know how to make bows, but making forms square, parlell , plumb, flat, ect. and under standing how to glue them up.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:06:14 pm by Mad Max »