Author Topic: Deer carts, which one?  (Read 7022 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Deer carts, which one?
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:09:42 pm »
Im 41 and tired of pulling deer around the woods and fields of Michigan. Its time for a deer cart. I have read too many horror stories about junk carts, lots of them. Im hoping you guys have some good background and info for me. I don't care what it costs, within reason. I want to buy one and be done. 

Thanks for your help
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Deer carts, which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »
Hey PD, my cousin has a really nice one that works well.  I will contact him for the particulars and let you know.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »
Polaris is what I use no effort at all lol  >:D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »
I bought one about 10 years ago from Bass Pro.  I apologize that I cannot remember the brand name, but that was knocked off ther long ago. Mine has some design flaws that I can warn you against.  Get a cart with the wheels to the side of the cart, not underneath it.  That lowers the center of balance and makes hauling deer easier. I think all the new ones are designed like that now a days, but just make sure. Replace all the nuts with locking nuts that do not come off. 

I payed $90 or so 10 years ago and use it alot.  I have had to do some modifications to it over the years, but I have put it through hell.  I have hauled many deer on it, duck decoys, sand bags, even a friend that was too drunk to walk home from the bar one night (it was easier that carrying her).  I even use it to haul staves out of the woods.  It has a 300 lb weight limit which I know I have exceeded several times with logs but other it has not broken down completely yet.

Good luck with whatever you buy.  You will be surprised all the things you can use it for.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »
My buddy throws a wheelbarrow in the back of the truck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »
If you are near a horse race track - - old sulkeys would work.  I have used one for years to lug my canoe thru the woods.  Works great and the tracks practically give the old ones away. 

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »
I have a few around Russ. Good thought.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:44 pm »
I use a calf sled.. Pulls easier than a critter... Also a good reason to bring a kid with you
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
My kid yanked one back  a half mile to the truck last night. He is a good boy. Ive been nasty sick and had no lungs or strength to do anything. He latched on and I carried bows and coats. I have a heavy duty Jet Sled, but I think I want wheels Leroy.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »
Freind of mine built one used bike wheels nice and big... Another friend got one from Calablas years ago worked good.. Draggings no fun I got 10yrs on ya.. Good on your boy.. That's a big drag... Wheels are good
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
I just use a strap that goes over my shoulder with a rope tied to it that goes around the neck of the deer. I have drug deer over a half mile on several occasions. Just lean forward and walk. Beats the heck out of hanging on to the horns or a foot. If you get a cart the better ones have wheels that angle outward on the bottom that make them almost impossible to tip over.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »
Been there done that Ryan, your a beast compared to me! 90% of my deer dragging takes place in harvested fields. That's why I think a cart would be the cat's meow.

Offline Otis

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »
Pearlie, they are easy to make.  Traditional Bowhunter had an article a while back. Made them out of conduit. I made one for myself and Pappy one to take to LBL when he goes there. If you know an electrician have them bend up two pieces of 3/4" emt with back to back 90's in a U shape with one narrower than the other. Use flat banding with prepunched  holes to use to cross the conduit. An axle and wheels and you're in business. I bought the tires for ours from Cabelas. Got the heavy duty ones. It sure beats dragging.

David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:38:15 pm »
What's up Cloverdale Dave! I have a bender at home I can use to bend conduit. I never thought about making one. But that sounds real easy to me.........and cheap...;)

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »
chris
ive got the roll about deer cart from the sportsman guide   its not ideal on wet ground but solid ground is fine
and it was cheaper than I could build  of the same material.
and for under $50 I,m not gonna complain