Author Topic: Dragon Hunters Bow  (Read 2481 times)

Offline TimPotter

Dragon Hunters Bow
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:23 am »
Several years ago I was inspired to make a bow decorated with painted dragon skin. My sons had a book with lots of pictures and I thought, "why not". I wanted the bow to have the look of a long ago horn composite from the Carpathian Mountains.

1st I selected a stave of rhododendron that had all the right curves.

And then a few months latter the finished product.

The bow came out quite heavy about 85# at 28" but at the time I had been shooting warbows of over 100# at 31" and was able to handle it. My goal over the next 6 months is to work my way back into heavier bows. It is a great way to get in shape and I need it badly.

Thank you for looking.

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Dragon Hunters Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:03:58 am »
Nice bow and it does have a dragon resemblance to it with those serpentine - like curves and the scaly looking faux finish on the back, good stave selection for that project also Tim. I like it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:49 am »
Cool bow out of what looked like a challenging stave. I gotta know what you are doing with the cement loops over what looks like another stave. Is that you way of taming a future bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:59 am »
Nice bow, Tim. How is Rhodo as a bow wood. I have 25 ac of Rhodo and Mt. Laurel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:42:52 am »
What's the deal with the noc point on the top limb?  It looks like it is 5 inches from the tip end of the bow.

OneBow

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:06:14 pm »
This is one sweet bow! very nice work!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:50:56 pm »
Thanks guys.

"I gotta know what you are doing with the cement loops over what looks like another stave. Is that you way of taming a future bow?"

Yes. It was an erc stave I used to make a long bow. Keeps it from warping to the side.

That low nock point is an illusion in the pic. It was at the top.

Rhod worked well much like dogwood. But it splits when the bark is off so it needs lots of sealer and left to dry for a few months.

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:37 pm »
Wait I remember now. I did lower the nock on upper limb and had not finished cutting it down.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »
Looks cool dude!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?