Author Topic: Round 2 W/Obsidian  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Round 2 W/Obsidian
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
I'm really enjoying this obsidian. So easy to work. I just can't decide which version of this style point I like best.
Like always (as I'm still learning) criticism is welcome.

Thanks again.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Round 2 W/Obsidian
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:24:20 pm »
Great looking points, Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
Dang, Bryce! You're moving along fast. Great looking points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »
very nice, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »
That obsidian will ruin a guy. Points look great.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »
Are you sure your just starting because your kicking a$$. Those are some sweet looking points Bryce.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:45 pm »
You have the disease  >:D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »

Smart @#@@!  OK, those are nice also! 8)  Slow down boy, you're making some of us look bad!  Ok, you're making me look bad!  :(  Don't you have some staves that need scraping?

Wayne

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:31:52 am »
thanks again fellas. i learn by watching and ive seen almost all of Patrick's videos. let me tell you there is more than enough info and examples to get a really good start.

yes i need to get back to my staves ;)

You have the disease  >:D.

more than you know.

That obsidian will ruin a guy. Points look great.
Knapper
Its all i got that works for me. i picked up some agate and am heading to the river to get deschutes jasper
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:15 am »
At first I just thought you were getting lucky....that doesn't seem to be the case here....that's already better than what I can do...but then again I suck horribly ...lol  :laugh:  I'd knap more if I could collect the stuff myself n not have to trade n buy it...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »
Don't you guys have a lot of jasper out that way?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »
 :o
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »
Looking GOOD Bryce! You're right, in that the 2 ingredients to successful knapping are tons of high quality material at your disposal and good quality teaching. You also seem to have the 3rd ingredient, beginners luck (which my phone intuitively typo'ed "beginnersuck")   ;D ;D ::)

But I digress... You were asking for constructive criticism, not jealous wit. For hunting points I look for sharp edge and narrow length to width ratio. My preference would be the mahog on the left.

I'm actually thinking about starting a little discussion about edge work on another post. I've been hearing some concern about sharpness from a variety of people and I thought an in depth look at the various approaches might shed some light on the topic for some of us who like to make meat with these beauties.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 04:21:21 pm »
Looking GOOD Bryce! You're right, in that the 2 ingredients to successful knapping are tons of high quality material at your disposal and good quality teaching. You also seem to have the 3rd ingredient, beginners luck (which my phone intuitively typo'ed "beginnersuck")   ;D ;D ::)

But I digress... You were asking for constructive criticism, not jealous wit. For hunting points I look for sharp edge and narrow length to width ratio. My preference would be the mahog on the left.

I'm actually thinking about starting a little discussion about edge work on another post. I've been hearing some concern about sharpness from a variety of people and I thought an in depth look at the various approaches might shed some light on the topic for some of us who like to make meat with these beauties.

i prefer the mahog as well, that one came in at 200grns so she could loose weight. the edge work i use a small pressure flaker and that gets them SHARP! the ones you sent me felt a little sharper, and very well dressed. and there certainly got the job done, and quick.

thats a topic i would be interested in. and if ppl can show video examples of the various techniques(of themselves not others) that would be great, God bless the internet  ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »
At first I just thought you were getting lucky....that doesn't seem to be the case here....that's already better than what I can do...but then again I suck horribly ...lol  :laugh:  I'd knap more if I could collect the stuff myself n not have to trade n buy it...
   now I think hes just showing off >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹