Author Topic: DISASTER!  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Josh B

DISASTER!
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »
After having such a good weekend last week, I guess there had to be a reckoning. :(  I have been building up a pretty sizable burn pile this year and my oldest daughter thought it would be a waste to burn it with out a weinie and marshmallow roast.  So I agreed to let her have a few of her friends over to do just that.  Of course, anytime a half dozen teenage girls gather, at least that many teenage boys have a way of magically appearing.  As it was only supposed to be a bunch of girls, I was only keeping an eye on them.  BIG MISTAKE !!!  By the time that I realized the boys had shown up, they had already thrown a large portion of my Osage stash on the fire! >:(  here is what's left of over forty Osage staves and a dozen walnut quarters.  I'm just sick.  My daughter told them to leave it alone, they ignored her.  When she came in to tell me, they piled more on the fire before I could get out there.  I'm just sickened by such wanton destruction.  It'll take the winter to replace em, but until it seasons, I've got very little to work with.  I've got ERC and whitewoods,  but some of that Osage was decades old.  I'm glad that i sent the best piece of the island Osage out to a buddy, because its all gone.  Those boys are gonna be in for a surprise when their parents get a bill for the damage.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

Re: DISASTER!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »
Just one question.   Are these boys over 18?   >:(
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
Whoa.......  vile destruction of ones passion......... :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:25:10 pm »
Goes to show why corporal punishment needs to be used! I got whooped plenty of times and I am not a junkie, gang member, disrespectful, pants hanging, knuckle dragging, non contributing whachamacallit! Those boys need a week of hard work on top of the bill you send their folks! Plus a good AW! >:(  I am sorry for your Loss.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:02:05 pm »
Wow what a total lack of respect........  I feel for you Doc. I hope you get some reimbursement for the lost goods and I truly hope these kids get punished and are held responsible for this. If they aren't who know what their next crime will be.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Josh. Hopefully you can get some satisfaction.
 If you need bow wood, just ask!!!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »
Goes to show why corporal punishment needs to be used! I got whooped plenty of times and I am not a junkie, gang member, disrespectful, pants hanging, knuckle dragging, non contributing whachamacallit! Those boys need a week of hard work on top of the bill you send their folks! Plus a good AW! >:(  I am sorry for your Loss.

your not any of those ben but you are a musician >:D
that sucks Josh, hell it breaks MY heart and it wasn't my stash, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 03:47:11 pm »
Josh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Makes me sick, the lack of respect.  I don't have much, no Osage but but some other stuff.  If you want or need some I would send you some. 

Matt

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 03:51:01 pm »
OUCH MAN!! Boy that's a drag. Try to be a nice guy and all your bow wood gets burnt. Sheesh, fellin for ya Buddy. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 03:51:24 pm »
My heart breaks.
Your self control is far greater than mine.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 03:52:49 pm »
THAT SUCKS!!!!!  >:(  :-\  :'(    Next time your out my way lemme know and I'll hook ya up free of charge. Or lemme know if ya need some seasoned stuff n I'll bring em down to the classic or next time I see ya....arghhhhh  >:(

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 04:04:41 pm »
Be handy to have that many teenage boys cut down,carryout split store,and seal your replacment staves. All done without the aid of powertools or atvs of course,and no reason to waste gloves on hellians. >:D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Online sleek

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
Man, I would work those brats till they had blisters on their fingers. I would make them replace my osage stash twice over. I would also make them split and quarter them.  Still thats no replacing the 20+ year old staves. But its a start. All by hand too, with an ax, sledge, and wedges. And tell the parents they will be sued for the cost of materials if their children dont cooperate. And of course, I wouldnt ever let them date my daughter either.

I wish I had more staves, I would be happy to give them to you, but I am almost out.

Edit: Now that I think about it, doesnt the Bible say something about replacing items 7 fold? If your not a religious man, now would be a great time to start...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
As someone that has had to pay retail prices for nearly every bit of osage I've laid hands on, I can say that those staves were fair market value of $75 each, another $15 premium for anything with decent character, and Lord knows what you would ask for something with a decade or more of seasoning.

That's an easy $3k without even the premium value added.  Even if they cut, haul, split, debark, and chase a ring on replacement staves, that does not cover the seasoning of wood.  I can send you a small pair of rusty and dull pruning shears if you need to go Biblical on 'em.  Eye for an eye and wood for wood.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »
 I'd talk to their parents and whichever kid didn't show up to cut, split and chase sap wood on every stave I told them to do, I'd send them a bill for sure. You are a better man then me. I'd be whooping their butts up and down the road with whatever switch I could find.

I really feel for you Josh, I know how hard you worked for those Island staves.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?