Author Topic: Questions about eastern red cedar as a bow wood  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Questions about eastern red cedar as a bow wood
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
I'm pondering investing in an eastern red cedar stave to try my hand at a short (55-60 inch), sinew-backed paddle bow. I have a few questions:

1. I've heard that ERC is fairly rot-resistant. Does this pertain to all of the wood, or just the heartwood?
2. How long do ERC bows tend to last? Are these bows used for a few years and discarded once they wear out, or are they similar to osage orange and yew in that they can be shot for decades?

Look forward to hearing what people have to say!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:05:28 pm by Eric »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Questions about eastern red cedar as a bow wood
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:29:17 pm »
Most of the cedar I've used Eric last for a long time as long as it is tillered right. I have a stave that has no knots and has been curing since 2004, still looks good. When you are tillering it do not push the envelope. When it acts like the wood doesn't want to bend anymore don't try for another half inch, just to see. It is very impressive when it blows. I tiller outside and the last one I broke my wife heard it in the house with the windows shut and the AC on. I found part of the limb on the roof of my house. But, they make a very fast shooting bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »
ERC is a true juniper(Juniperus virginiana) and should work well as a sinew backed bow. Get the cleanest stave you can. Knots seem to be the downfall of most ERC bows.
ERC heartwood is rot resistant but the sapwood is not. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:06:55 pm »
Sinews my favorite backer for ERC...but I've done hickory n rawhide backed as well with good success...for what its worth all of them are still in one piece yet...not everyday shooters tho...

+1 for pat n Eddie....you really need to go slow tillering the stuff,and exercise it more than you normally would...n be super careful never pulling past problem areas...if you have a good piece and adhere to the golden rules of tillering to a T you should be good...as for how long it'll last? Who knows? We never know with any piece of wood regardless of species....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »
  My Grandson's Father is still shooting a 55#, bamboo backed, ERC that Briann Melton made I believe back about 2006. It's still a very fast bow with no set.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:59 am »
If I were to make an eastern red cedar paddle bow that was 55 or 60 inches long, how wide would people suggest making this bow? I know ERC is of lower density than other woods, but as I'm used to using more dense woods like osage orange, hophornbeam and hickory I'm unaccustomed to adjusting my designs for lighter woods.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:03:25 am by Eric »

blackhawk

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:15 am »
Eric, you should be good at 2".
Lakeland, Florida

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30629.0

Frickin' hell Chris... I don't remember seeing that bow, but it's awesome!

Offline Gaur

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
I found quite a few real nice ones in the woods where I was turkey hunting.  The ones deeper in the woods don't have lower limbs on them and they are real straight.  I talked to the owner the other day and he said I could cut down for bows so I am excited to try one after they dry.

Good luck with your project.  I'm planning to do a sinew backed one as well.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2