Author Topic: Expensive camo  (Read 9342 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Expensive camo
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
Somehow some of my camo hunting clothes shrunk a little since last season.  I stopped in a Dick's Sporting goods store today to see if I could find a cheap long sleeve shirt and a light jacket.  I had a coupon in my pocket for $10 off my purchase so I was sure I could find something.  I walked into the large camo section and was shocked.  The prices were outrageous.  Its all high tech scent control material.  $40 for a long sleeve shirt.  $120 for a light jacket.  Just a simple face mask was $25.  I asked a worker if they had any plain material clothing.  All he could find was a couple of cotton shirts.  I decided to hang on to my coupon and left.    I couldn't believe that all they carried was the high tech stuff.  I wondered how I was able to kill so many deer over the years wearing old fashioned camo that didn't destroy every scent molecule on my body.  On the way home I stopped at the local wal-mart and found some plain camo.  I got a shirt and jacket for less than the price of the fancy material shirt.  I hope the deer don't mind. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Expensive camo
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:18 pm »
It's just that the deer have evolved so very very fast, Clint.  Once upon a time you could shoot a deer with a .243, but nowadays those little bullets bounce off and the deer flicks their tail like a skeeter landed on 'em.  Gotta use a super magnum belted laserguided depleted uranium tracer-every-third-round kinda gun. 

Same goes for camo.  Deer now see in infra-red with photoreceptors in their eyes that can distinguish color down to half-angstroms. 

Gosh, and to think people used to hunt wearing  red and green plaid wool jackets that weren't even digitally 3-D printed.   I heard some of 'em carried a baked potatoe in each pocket to keep their hands warm. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:01:59 am »
Clint, I just bought a nice gray plaid flannel shirt from a local thrift store for $3. That and a pair of jeans will do the trick for you.  ;) A Woolrich wool plaid over shirt will work good when the temps drop. I stopped buying camo years ago. I still use what I have but am thinking more traditional these days. Camo used to be my favorite color but the marketing crap has turned me away. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:07:59 am »
Clint, I just bought a nice gray plaid flannel shirt from a local thrift store for $3. That and a pair of jeans will do the trick for you.  ;) A Woolrich wool plaid over shirt will work good when the temps drop. I stopped buying camo years ago. I still use what I have but am thinking more traditional these days. Camo used to be my favorite color but the marketing crap has turned me away.

You gotta take what Pat says with a grain of salt.  He carries a hunters blind with him everywhere he goes so it don't matter what he wears.  He just sits down on a stump and spreads his beard out. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:13 am »
Its getting pretty white John. I'm gonna have to start hunting snow country.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:14:42 am »
Yea it's crazy how the price of those camo clothes has ramped up.Really if a person just sits still and pays attention to the wind direction that's all it takes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:14:58 am »
PAT B'S COMING TO SOUTH DAKOTA!

Ed brings up a great point, too.  Best bloody high tech camo in the world is worthless if you can't sit still. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:20:25 am »
Wish I was John. One of these days!  ;)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:21:15 am »
Yeah, as someone who is just getting in to hunting, it is ridiculous. My buddy is fully sold on spending hundreds of dollars on the latest hi-tech camo, and I just bought a used wool Columbia camo jacket for 25 on craigslist.  It doesn't fit me very well, hopefully the deer don't mind.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:32 am »
Osage JW is right I been be'n stubborn about the high tech get up sent blocker, heat seeker arra's with 38 cal bang bang ends and all. I'm sure that is why I have not filled a tag in a few years. Guess our old school stuff just don't work no more. :'(
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 02:15:17 am »
X10 to what Pat said. I wear mostly earthtones very lil camo. I also have gotton some vintage Woolrich on Ebay cant beat it.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 02:17:42 am »
Oh yeah, killed a yodel dog on the ground  7yds with recurve gray Kroomer plaid shirt no headnet BDU pants. Wind dead in my mug!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:46 am »
Its getting pretty white John. I'm gonna have to start hunting snow country.  ;D

Pat you can still hunt down here, just sit in the oaks with all of the Spanish Moss ;D. I wear BDU pants and any camo shirts I have, but most of the time I just slip a leafy net suit on and go. You sweat so much down here I challenge them to prove to me those charcoal suits work here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:20 am »
This is my favorite camo outfit ever.  It has a few holes in it, missing a couple of buttons, and has a nice patch on the knee.  It was my Dad's.  I was wearing it when I took my first deer in the 6th grade.  I wore it for years and was pretty successful in it.  Unfortunately once I got married, it shrunk to and doesn't fit anymore  :'(    I want to find a light brown shirt and pants and try to make my own camo with RIT dye and maybe some walnuts.   

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:23:05 am »
If I didnt wear some form of camo up here, Id never kill a deer. These guys get hunted like no other state and muted, earth tones wont take you far, heck camo barely conceals you. I pretend Im hunting turkeys and cover every inch of solid color and skin up. Stupid deer........;)

Clint you just a tight wad. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.