Author Topic: Building a Lord of the Rings Bow  (Read 13220 times)

Offline ajohnso8

Building a Lord of the Rings Bow
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
My father and I are both building bows for a Lord of the Rings Archry Tournament for next year. We are making Lothlorien bows like the ones the elves used in the battle of helm's deep in the Two Towers movie. These bows look Asian in origin and are very tall as you can tell by the third picture. These "double recurves" are beautiful, but we are a bit stumped in where to begin. We think we will be using osage orange or yew depending on what we can get ahold of and afford. Someone (who we can no longer contact) made one of these using 6 layers of wood. We would like to try and avoid making this too complicated by not using bone or sinew in the construction; however, we want these be excellent quality shooting bows. We are also willing to use bamboo laminations. Someone made some similiar using bamboo that looks almost like the bow we want.  They claim that they are wonderfully strong, tall and very fast when shooting arrows. I know they used hardwood, then a stablized core of bamboo and then a hardwood again. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar advice on what to do. But thank you all the same for your opinions.

The South Indian

Beloved bow of the gods of India in classic double recurve design. At 70" long, the bow is made with bamboo facings over an inner core of multiple square bamboo laminations and hardwood on the edges. Rounded at the riser to about 1" in diameter, wrapped in sting-ray skin or leather. Unique flared limb tips and hand-rubber finish. These bows can be made for a draw up to 35". Shot directly off either the right or left hand, these bows are smooth as silk. Rare smoked and naturally figured bamboos also available in the limbs and well as Japanese urushi finishes.

The Krackow Company - Promoting the Ancient and Worldwide Art of Archery
Bows For Pros Product 3

Well we would like to know if anyone knows some good suppliers for bamboo facings and such online or in businesses located in America. Also any tips of working with bamboo is welcome too! Any help or knowledge is much appreciated.

ALso, we like the decorative ends of the bow, but the builder of the darker replica bow complained about handshock. Anyway to get the right shape and decoration at the end of the bow but decrease the handshock
 Can anyone make suggestions, opinions or thoughts about layers and types of wood, recommended bow strings and particular ways to attach the strings for these kinds of bows,  tools, process of building these types of bows or anything helpful. We are using the traditional bowyer's bible series as a guide but we would like more of people's helpful opinions to guide us.  Thank you so much!!!

Offline ajohnso8

Re: Building a Lord of the Rings Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:14:30 pm »
The first picture is the bow we are going to make. The second picture shows a replica that GI Bow made but he complained of handshock. The third picture shows the height of the bows. The fourth picture is a South Indian Bow that someone made using bamboo facings and hardwood, and it just happens to be the right shape in the bow we are trying to recreate. However there is too little information about recreating these types of bows.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »
Whoah that's sick!  You should go for recreating the whole set.  I'm especially interested in the arrowheads :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »
Im not all that experienced, but if i was to build something like that i think i would make a caul (a formtemplate) and make a laminate bow.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline ajohnso8

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:42:59 pm »
Unfornately, I am not a swordsmith and I am rubbish at arrows.  :)
GI Bow did make these arrows heads to replicate the arrows used with the bows in the movie. Wonder if he will do a custom order?

Offline ajohnso8

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice. It will probably be a laminate bow anyway. My dad has many timber suppliers because of the business he runs so we will be getting precut wood staves. I think we have been considering getting osage orange bow staves from Ohio Timber. Anyone ever bought from them before or think using osage wood as the main core with bamboo laminations is a good idea for this type of bow?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:26 pm »
Your best bet is to just use a wood like Elm, Hackberry or Hickory and steam a bit of setback into the handle and recurve the tips. If you make the nocks out on the tip of the recurved portion and use the projecting "leaf" as a string bridge the handshock will be greatly reduced.
 This thread shows a bow that has all the features that you are looking for, you just have to add a bit to the recurves and thin and round the handle more so that it is less prominent. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42573.0.html
 The laminated South Indian bow is far too complex to make if you aren't very experienced
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:57:28 pm by PatM »

Offline ajohnso8

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:17:24 pm »
Oh believe me I won't be making the South Indian bow itself. :D However, I do want the height and shape so I will probably be laminating definately.

Offline ajohnso8

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »
I was just wanting to know if anyone had any opinions on the different layers to make this bow? The backing? The belly? The core? How many layers? Types of wood that go well together and have a great deal of strength. I like osage because it is flexible and resists wood rot. Then somebody said bamboo laminations is good for backing and strength but I was not sure.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Trust me on the one layer.
 Especially if you haven't made bows before.
 A stave also lets you stain the wood and have it look uniform.
 If you intend to stain a laminated bow all one color it will come out uneven looking due to the differences in material density and porosity.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:12 pm »
<snip>
 If you intend to stain a laminated bow all one color it will come out uneven looking due to the differences in material density and porosity.
That's what God created primer and paint for!  This is a fantasy bow anyway, ...it is not like anyone is trying to re-create an 'authentic primative design' is it???  I mean there will be no elves clamoring against it for it's inaccuracy or inconsistancy with their cultural heritage!  ;)

OneBow

Offline ajohnso8

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
Gi bow who made the replica in the picture managed to get it all one color. :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:56:09 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline Patches

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:48 pm »
Have you watched the extras in the box set of the movies?  In the extras they talk a little (albeit very little) about the bows and arrows and how they are made.  They ones made on set were only like 20 lbs draw I think.  I am not sure if you can get a higher draw weight and still have the woodwork and all the embellishments. 

Good luck with it!

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline ajohnso8

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I can't remember if you mentioned on the other forum (AIUK) whether this was your first bow attempt or not? 

As I said on the previous forum, it's well worth starting out with a single stave bow, just to get your eye in, as there are a great many intricacies to building bows, and starting out with an advanced Asian double recurve may not be the best way to begin, but I'm sure with the help on here and with enough research and patience you will get the bow you're after!