Author Topic: Got my hands on some sinew, finally  (Read 2553 times)

Offline campx

Got my hands on some sinew, finally
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »
This  post will probably get moved, but hey.....I'm showing this off anyways!
Not harvested with a bow; used a 7mm Rem Mag.
Cut the tendons out of the legs, aint enough to do a bow with, but enough for nocks and other stuff.
Asked my meatcutter what he does with any tendons; it all just goes in the scrap barrels, as he doesnt have the time to seperate the tendons from the rest of it.  I've asked all my hunting buddies to save the tendons outta their deer and elk, for my bow projects.
Next week, I'm gonna try and get some grizzly bear tendons. My buddy got a grizzly draw, and I'm going with him to help out.......should be interesting.

bigbuck 023 by CampX, on Flickr

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Got my hands on some sinew, finally
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
Nice Buck, Congrats! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:18:35 pm »
A buck of that size has plenty of sinew for one bow. Make sure you take the sinews from the front of the shin bones. Many people seem hardly aware that they are there. There has to be something holding the ankles from folding forward.

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »
Ask you meatcutter if you can pull some of the legs out of the scrap can and get the tendons from them.  I did that here where I live and collected ALOT of leg sinew (a 5 gallon container packed full after it was dried).  Since they are throwing them away anyway, its worth a shot. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline campx

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:54:33 pm »
Ask you meatcutter if you can pull some of the legs out of the scrap can and get the tendons from them.  I did that here where I live and collected ALOT of leg sinew (a 5 gallon container packed full after it was dried).  Since they are throwing them away anyway, its worth a shot.
Roger that.  Its too bad all the back tendons just get zipped into chunks through the bandsaw.  2 of my hockey buddies work at the meatcutters, I'll ask them to set the legs aside......
I've got a sweet little bow in the works, local BC juniper, 50incher perhaps.  Gonna need a bit of sinew for that one.
Regarding bear tendons, anyone in here used that?  Should work, I suppose.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »
Beautifull deer, congratulations! This is where your post needed to be. I'll like the rifle, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KellyG

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »
Nice deer for sure.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:16 pm »
I love the look of mulies, so much more gruff and tuff than whitetails.  I can only hope something like that presents itself when I go out for muzzleloader season. 

Nice buck, thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
Very nice Buck,lots of supplies along with meat right there. Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »

Beautiful!  A wall hanger for sure!  Did you take the back sinew as well?  Like Pat M said, the shin bones have a long strip as well.  All the way down to the foot.  Just skin the hide back, and follow it.  Nice buck.  Good eating.  I don't throw anything away, except the guts, and I even keep the ribs.  They are delicious, on the bar b q grill.  Or ground into sausage.  Just mix about fifty, venison/pork, and your favorite seasoning.  The pork keeps the fat content up to keep it moist.  You can adjust the ratio of pork to your individual taste.  Sausage is one of the easiest things to make.  Especially breakfast sausage.  A little sage, some granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, add some fennel seeds if you like, some cayenne pepper, if you like it a bit spicy, and or some hot pepper flakes, mix it all up, and make some patties, or stuff in some prepared intestines, and twist, to desired link size, and freeze.  Thaw them out, and keep in the refrigerator, till breakfast time the next day, or have them with peanut butter, maple syrup, and flour bread.  Basically a big biscuit.  Southern snack, but Mmmm, good.
Tasty little snack.   ;)
                                                            Wayne