Author Topic: recuving draw weight changes?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline sleek

recuving draw weight changes?
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:26 am »
If a bow has stiff tips, and you then recurve them, while adjusting the string to keep the brace height constant, will the draw weight change per draw length? I am inclined to say no, and am about to try this, but want others opinions first. 

My reason for saying no is that I dont think I am changing the working length of the bow limbs by recurving because the stiff tips arent working to begin with, and the brace height will stay the same once the string is adjusted.

Thoughts?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: recuving draw weight changes?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:02 am »
When I flip the tips on most of mine they will increase 3 or 4 lbs. as a rule. I always do it after I have them out to 20 or so in draw length and always pick up some weight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:39 am »
Yes the draw weight will raise, probably around 5 lbs or so, depending on how much reflex and how long the recurves are. Even though the tips are already stiff you will be adding early string tension and poundage which in turn will raise the draw weight at a certain draw length. I have done this several times with bows that were mediocre performers and I am always surprised by the performance increase.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:43:47 am »
IF you have adequate width in your working limbs to do so YES it will raise your draw weight ...and that's a fact jack  ;)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:44:38 am »
the one i did not to long ago raised in draw weight by 5 lbs.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »
When I flip the tips on most of mine they will increase 3 or 4 lbs. as a rule. I always do it after I have them out to 20 or so in draw length and always pick up some weight. :)
   Pappy

Good to know, I often wondered about that. . . .  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I knew recurving can change the weight sometimes, but wasnt sure why exactly, if the working limb length and brace height dont change. But its because of higher string tension it seems.... Ok, I will buy that. Now, if only the bow hadnt broken.... First break I have had in a long time. Oh well....

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 04:35:05 pm »
    Even though the limb is still the same length if the string is in contact with the outer limb it does effectively make the limb shorter by a tad as far as leverage goes so you pick up a little there also beside the extra sting tension at brace.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Badger, if the string comes close but doesnt touch the outer limb, does the same still apply? I dont make contact recurves is why I ask.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »
  I can't give you a 100% good answer but I know when we put bends in the limbs the tip gets closer to the handle so even in that sense we are still a bit shorter and with less leverage making the pull heavier. The entire bow limb is responding to its own correlation with the string, not all parts of the bow limb are at the same angle at any given time. The closer it is to the tips the more we feel it, so a very low string angle at the tips will give us a smoother lower gains per inch draw but higher starting off.