Author Topic: Oak board bow tiller help (almost finished)  (Read 1578 times)

Offline kowishto

Oak board bow tiller help (almost finished)
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »
         Hi all, this is my first bow, and due to being very busy it has taken me a long long time to get to this point.  But I got so much help from this forum a few weeks back I thought i would post an update and also ask for some opinions.. I am a bit disappointed at how light the draw ended up being wih this bow but considering it's my first one, I'm just glad I didn't break it (yet)  :-\
         Anyways, its 69 " N2N and pullng about 29# at 27 inches.. it's funny how I thought the tiller looked pretty good until I took a picture, and really took a good look at it.  As you can see in the pics, obviously the right limb is bending more than the left, with a possible hinge at mid-limb. (Although I think the weird angle and time of day that i took the pic definitely adds to the effect..it doesnt look half that bad in person) opinions on how to go about fixing this?  I will remove as much wood as I need to, I'm not worried about lowering the draw weight anymore, my hunting dreams for this one are long past.  Also, my draw length is 29" conservatively (my anchor point is almost to my ear lol) but I havent pulled it past about 27" as of right now.  Thank you all for all the help I really appreciate it

Offline Joec123able

Re: Oak board bow tiller help (almost finished)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »
Well first off the whole center of the bow is not moving at all
I like osage

Offline kowishto

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »
Well the design I went for is stiff in the handle I was under the impression it shouldnt bend hardly at all from handle to about a foot out towards the tips.  Thanks for the response

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:00 pm »
Usually a handle is 4" with 2" or 1 1/2" fades. So maybe a 8" section should be stiff.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:51:57 pm »
What does the front view profile look like?  A picture would be great. 

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »
To me it looks like the tips aren't bending enough and the middle of the bow needs to bend more. Only 8" shouldn't bend
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline kowishto

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:47 am »
Thanks for the answers I definitely have more work to do, I was so worried about leaving the middle stiff but it's great to hear some experienced knowledge.  I'll take a picture of the front profile tomorrow its relatively thin even in the handle section and tapers all the way to the tip to about a half an inch or less.. (too thin????) I was thinking about chopping off both tips because I was lazy with the nocks and maybe I could get a little extra draw weight as well, but I dont know if I should do that. Opinions welcomed :p thanks

Neil

Offline kowishto

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
To me it looks like the tips aren't bending enough and the middle of the bow needs to bend more. Only 8" shouldn't bend

How close to the tips should I try and get bending more? 6-8" ?
I guess my question is were you talking about the handle or tips when you said 8"? Didn't realize I posed a trick question haha, sorry
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:49:20 am by kowishto »

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:19:54 am »
The handle section is the 8", 4" handle the 2" fades. Ur fades can also be 1 1/2" usually on shorter bows to get a little more working limb. I think the handle section should be ur first stop. Get it bending more and your tips will come around. Try and even it all out and get a good looking tiller then fine tune everything
Nothing ventured nothing gained