Author Topic: Tough young Hack-berry build-a-long  (Read 3327 times)

Offline TimPotter

Tough young Hack-berry build-a-long
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:48 am »
I promised myself I'd wait till I got this stave bending before sharing some pics, but it may take a few more hard earned days. I've worked with some tough hard to split wood before but this one here gets the black hat. I took my hatchet to the grinder twice thinking maybe my 1st time I'd not made it sharp enough, even though I knew that wasn't true. Then my knives started giving me the same feedback. So now I'm on to rasping out the general profile. Bit by bit.

Here is some pics of the original harvest about 6 months back. I'll have more pics latter today showing it's progression on the workbench. Then stave came with a nature-given set-back handle so I have all sorts of crazy ideas for what to make of it. It's 72" at the moment. Have a good morning all. :)

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline TimPotter

Re: Tough young Hack-berry build-a-long
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:19:39 am »
Pic before 1st hatchet strike.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:19 am »
One good thing about hackberry is it grows pole straight like that,and is always easy to find a victim....looking forward to some more installments ;)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:45:11 am »
Sometimes its all a test of patience. That's an impressive fire pit by the way.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:30 am »
Blackhawk this one is very knotty and not so straight as other pics will show. >:D

That was a fire pit at one time that my wife converted into a raku oven. Now I'm working on a new place for my fire pit. :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:48 am »
Tim I have never found a hackberry that was tough like that, not even close. Ive cut from 1.5" up to 10" round. I have a feeling you have a special bow coming from that stick man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »
Fixin to be a good one can't wait :)

Offline DavidV

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
I have a tough one just like that :) a bit smaller though.
Springfield, MO

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »
This will be fun to watch, looking forward to it.
Mark

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
Yeah well this is getting more complicated by the minute. First this has darker wood than other hackberry bows I've made. That in itself will turn out great when and if I finish it. Next I found a nice worm hole running from the handle area to the fade. Once the contaminated areas were removed I was left with a much narrower lower limb than I wanted so we now have a elb with a setback handle in the works or a gull wing native American flat bow in the works. Now I'm also having difficulty uploading pics here. But I'll persist. >:D

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:47:12 pm »
Then again maybe a Scythian type bow. ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:07:28 pm by TimPotter »

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:58 am »

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:36 am »
In the meantime while I discover why my pics of rasping won't upload here is a pic of two other hackberry bows I've done in the past.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/thimosabv2/DSC_0030.jpg

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 09:03:35 am »
I had planned a widelimbed design on this one like this pic of a former hackberry.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/thimosabv2/DSC_0039.jpg

But now with the narrow limb left after the worm damage I'm forced to see how narrow limbs work. I've done elm that way in the past and I'm pretty sure hackberry can take the strain so now it's just a matter of deciding belly shape. Crowned, lens, or flat?

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 09:31:46 am »
Thanks guys. Sorry this is not going as planned. I have lots of pics to share but I can't get them to upload here or even photobucket.  >:(

When this glitch is figured out I'll continue.