Author Topic: Ol one horn, A quick season  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Ol one horn, A quick season
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »
Ok this may be a little long winded but I'm a happy hunter. I have limited time to hunt this season because i'm finishing up school and I have a wife and 1year old boy at home and I work 40 hours a week. So I am not to depressed about being tagged out in mid Oct. This morning I decided to sit out for a couple hours and head down to school to take my mid term after. A front came through last night and I figured the cold weather would get some deer moving. This guy showed up at about 8:00 making a scrape fifty yards to the north on the treeline I was in. He lifted his head and I saw an antler and I thought "Shooter!" He started working his way along the treeline and I could see he was missing one side of his rack. He was a mature buck tho and I do not get many opportunities at deer like this. He was ten yards out from my tree line and even with me when I started to draw. I let down as he moved behind some brush and as he popped out on the other side I came to full draw. I was about to grunt to stop him when he hit my sent from where I walked in. It stopped him cold right in my sights! I focused on a spot up tight to his shoulder and began my mantra. I use the Joel Turner psychotrigger technique to beat target panic and let me tell you it works! I felt in complete control. When I reached my psychotrigger (bowhand pointer finger touching my thumb) I released and watched the arrow bury in the bucks chest. He bolted through the over grown farm field I was hunting and out of sight. I was confident on the shot so I waited ten minutes and started looking for blood. The grass was soaking wet and chest high and when I finally found blood it was barely visible and very watered down because of the wet grass. I tracked him for an hour on my hands and knees crawling through brush. It was a tough bloodtrail! he did not bleed much and I was becoming less and less confident on my shot. I eventually ran out of blood and began a body search in the tall grass and brush. I was about to back out and come back after my exam because I was running out of time when I saw a splotch of white up ahead! He was down after a hundred and fifty yard dash. I by this time I was running out of time so I ran back to get a knife, gutted him, took some pics and dragged him into the truck. I took a quick shower and shot off toward school. I dropped the buck off at the processor and made it to class with 3 minutes to Spare! Let me tell you I was much less confident on the results of my exam than I was on the shot I took earlier, but I grinned through the whole exam! I used a 43# 63" osage self bow I made this spring and a bamboo garden stake arrow with turkey feathers from a turkey my cousin shot last year, tipped with a stohs head.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Ol one horn, A quick season
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »
Niiice!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:24 pm »
Congrats, nice deer.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:26:58 pm »
Great job and great shot!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:22 pm »
Good shooting!  You didn't mess around this year huh? 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:40 pm »
nice! congrats!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:41 pm »
Nice shooting ....very happy for you!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:42:05 pm »
Thanks guys!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:04 am »
Congrats Lee !!!!! NICE deer.Loved your story.I was with you the whole way through it......LOL.Oh and way to 10 ring that deer bud !!!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:29 am »
Good job Lee. Thats a real fine deer there and a good  memory for you to keep until next season, congrats.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 06:52:51 am »
Nice deer and very good shot.Congrats.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:54:05 am »
POW! Way to go Lee!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:47 am »
Congratulations! You tucked that shot in there tight. My buddy shot a one horned deer at Pappy's last year, his first buck, and he was proud of it. I suggested running the head through Pappy's Bandsaw down the center and mounting it European style on a cedar placque and it came out really cool looking. Just a thought.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »
Good job man!  Great shot on a unique deer. :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »
Awesome job Lee!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956