Author Topic: archery program  (Read 7537 times)

gene roberts

archery program
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:17:01 pm »
my school is about to start a new archery program.we have to use compounds but at least we will bhe able to spread the joy with kids.my dad (GENE ROBERTS)is the pysical education coach.the bows just came in,they are mathew genisis compounds.any questions?

gene roberts

Re: archery program
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:59:36 pm »
yall aparently dont want anything to do with the compounds.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:04:12 pm »
Have to admit compounds don't excite me the way primitive gear does.  I am glad that you're starting the kids on archery of any sort though.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:15:49 pm »
Well durnit! I got kicked off for some reason. Anyway, I was sayin also that I'm glad you have a class with the kids - although wheelie bows are on the dark side here, some kind of seed has to be planted somewhere and that's what your doin. I think your'e doin a good thing ;). Maybe you could bring out the bendy stick and show off It's capabilities later - that'll make an impression on em ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 11:17:19 am »
Any kind of school archery program is a good thing, I'd say. I wish there was something like that when I was a kid. And yeah, I'd say introduce them to traditional gear, bet some will be hooked.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:06 am »
Any kind of activity that introduces kids to archery and outdoor activity is a good thing.  I'm glad to see you guys are doing it.  From what I have seen of these programs, they are funnest for the kids that you would have never expected to do any outdoor activity.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 02:56:32 pm »
yall aparently dont want anything to do with the compounds.

Don't know anything about them so there's not much I can say
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

gene roberts

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »
yall are right but thats the only thing i could do.compound or nothin.on the bright side:no releases,no sights,just bows and kids.

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:11:06 pm »
It's great that you got that started - suggested that in the school I teach at they thought I was nuts....(see powersaw question, maybe they had a point....)
What state do you live in? I'm in rural western VA and even here it's taboo for any "weaponry" in school. Kid got 1 year out for a penknife in his car's console.
Keep up the good work- are they using releases? I'm glad I never did - made the switch over from compounds easier later in life. I can't believe they sprung for compounds -  recurves would've been cheaper.
congrats, have fun passing the torch!
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 05:00:56 pm »
Good for you, archery in any form is a good school activity.  I saw you are shooting fingers, and knowing it is difficult to do with a compound with high letoff I looked up the Genesis to see what kind of bow it is.  It has no letoff, so that should make it fine for shooting fingers.  I see the bows cost around $140 which is reasonable especially since matthews sells mostly high-end equipment.  You could get decent fiberglass longbows for around $50, that would perform about the same.  I know a lot of school programs are strapped for cash, so this would be an option for others interested in getting an archery program going.

Our city has a community center building that is a large gym, and they sponsor archery night once a week for about 10 weeks in the winter.  We're looking into getting some of the kids bows so youngsters can come try it out without having their own equipment.  Right now its bring your own, which has certain benefits as far as people coming in with a little knowledge and parental oversight.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 08:33:21 pm »
I always wondered, but have yet to go about it, but maybe make it a half PE, half wood shop class: make your own board bows and shoot them in class. Back them with an old sheet, give 'em paracord strings or something, maybe send them to the art room for a paint up. Total input:$25.

School community bow project :)!

Might have to do it for my senior project ;D.

jeduffey

Re: archery program - NASP
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:08 am »
If I am correct, and I expect that I am, the program about which you are speaking is the National Archery in the Schools Program, www.NASParchery.com.  As much as I love trad-gear, there are specific reasons for the choice of equipment. The Mathews/Brennen Industries Genesis Bow, www GenesisBow.com, was specifically designed to fit the greatest number of people with the least amount of fuss. It is a single cam / idler wheel bow, with 0% let off, an adjustable draw weight from 10# to 20#, and an auto adapt draw length from 15" to 30". It has a physical mass of 3.5#. The program is available for 4th graders up to 12th graders. The arrows are Easton Genesis 1820 aluminums @ 30". Aluminums are a much better choice than the old yellow fiberglass arrows and safer than the new carbons. When a metal arrow is broken you know it, no guessing. Another nice thing about all of this gear is that it gives the advantages of a NASCAR type environment. It helps eliminate people getting ahead by having more cubic dollars than the next guy. It's all about how you drive it. In this case it really does come down to the ability of the individual shooter. Recurves can't compete in this arena, with this level of competence, at the price point these bows can come to schools. This means that any student that leaves an NASP school and moves to another NASP school knows exactly what to expect. Everything is identical.

Not only is the equipment NASCAR consistent, the training is as close to that level as the organization can make it. The instructors are trained with the best possible training that can be provided. Every single movement is detailed, and every answer has a reason that makes it the right choice.

As for "allowing weapons in school", the NASP has had zero, 0, accidents, to my knowledge, since it started in 2000. There are over 4 countries - USA, Canada, Mexico, and Australia, 45 States in the USA involved, over 4000 instructors, teaching over 500,000 kids per year, with a total number of students exceeding 2 million. There are only three, 3!, sports that can claim a lower National Bureau of Statistics incident of injuries in schools than archery. Those would be bowling, ping pong, and badminton. Archery is way cooler than any of those. That's right, archery is safer than, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, track, golf, football, lacrosse, field hockey, rugby, swimming, and everything else your local PE teachers, parents, and principals are encouraging your kids to attempt, even my beloved fencing.

Archery is doing for kids in school today what no other sport has done. Archery doesn't require the kid be the biggest, strongest, fastest, prettiest, most popular, or any other 'est'. It requires self discipline. This is a chance for every student to get a 'shot' at being number one, against his or her own last performance. Every one of us here knows that once hooked on archery, always hooked on archery. The survey numbers are bearing this out, kids involved in the NASP are buying equipment for themselves and their families.

For those of you who would like to take up the cause of bringing archery to your local school, and this is a part of the PE curriculum program, you can order a promotional DVD from the website at, NASParchery.com  Be sure to tell them that Jerry Duffey sent you.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this issue.

-Jerry Duffey
NASP BAITrainer

PS: For those of you with even more gumption, the NASP has a sister program that uses the training techniques of the NASP combined with scripture to create a Christian outreach program, Centershot Ministries, www CentershotMinistries.org. I'd be happy to get you info you might want on starting one through your local church or other organization.

Sorry Jerry but there's no posting of links to companies that are not advertisers with PA, see rules for message board
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:03:23 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:22 am »
Good luck on that Gene. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 02:07:28 pm »
I am an old retired high school teacher. I retired before I started making bows.  I know I  could have gotten kids interested in bow building if I had started a few years before retirement.
Any activity getting kids out of their cars and away from their game boys is the way to go.[/]center]
Any reason why the instructor couldn't bring in a couple of stick bows and let the kids shoot them? And then offer a lesson on building them?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

jeduffey

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 04:47:17 pm »
There is always the possibility of doing a little show and tell in an NASP class to present other aspects of archery to the kids. The curriculum is written to include connections to history, literature, math, science, social studies, and every other class type.