Author Topic: what to do...  (Read 1553 times)

Offline MoNative

what to do...
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »
So some friends of our family moved into our old house in town awhile back, the house I spent my first years in. well after living in the country for about 10 years now, bow wood has been plentiful. but in the yard of our old house stood the biggest walnut tree in town, but......it got cut down do to rot at the base. although the owners where thrilled to give me some staves out of that tree, for the fact I grew up playing under it for years. Being such an important project to me I don't want to screw up these bows and I plan to make them to the best of my abilities.

what I want from you guys is some ideas for these walnut self-bows... I was thinking maybe a couple D bows maybe 72" or so.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: what to do...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:31 pm »
67" ttt, 2" wide until mid limb, then taper to 5/8" tips. Make the grip 4" long and each fade 2" long.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21:13 pm »
Yup... wide and flat. You could even back it with maple or better yet rawhide. I tried to make an ELB out of walnut... it chrysaled horribly.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
I can see walnut doing that Adam. It doesn't come across as a good "D" section wood. That recipe I mentioned has been mentioned dozens of times by me. That's Paul Comstock's fool proof recipe for almost all white woods.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
I can see walnut doing that Adam. It doesn't come across as a good "D" section wood. That recipe I mentioned has been mentioned dozens of times by me. That's Paul Comstock's fool proof recipe for almost all white woods.
    Yeah I've read Paul's method in TBB vol. 1 and I've thought about doing that. but my plans are to use the heart wood. does that change anything?
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:40 pm »
Not in my mind, nope.