Author Topic: Osage shorty (full draw pics added)  (Read 3683 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Osage shorty (full draw pics added)
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:54:55 am »
Trying to figure out this pic posting problem Ive been having. hopefully i I can get them up Ill start throwing more up.

This is my Osage character short bow. well shorter than my usual 70+ bows. this one comes in at 52" tip to tip, stiff handle draws about 45# @ 28". this is my first real character bow and having a hole through the limb is pretty kool. cocobolo tips from some knife scale scraps I had. I am still workig on the tiller and will post some full draw pics once I have someone to take the pictures around!

Thanks guys, John
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:19:27 pm by NeolithicMan »
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Osage shorty
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:07 am »
I like it!  I am starting on my first Osage shorty as well.  I plan on sinew backing mine and flipping the tips.  I also plan on doing one that is bendy handle as well.  Work keeps getting in the way of all my bow building!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:10 am »
Looks good from what I can see,man tha's pretty short for a 28 inch draw,you guys amaze me.  I wouldn't even think of trying that unless it was sinew backed. ;):) Love to see a full draw at 28. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:34:52 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:24:15 pm »
Nice! I love the hole in the limb. Can't wait to see full draw pics.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »
Wow that is getting everything out of it you can I'd say.Hope she holds together for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »
I love that hole in the limb. 8)
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55:03 am »
I made this bow from a billet I received about a year ago. It was my intention to make a bow for my fiancés nephew who is 13. I was pulling the bow on my tillering tree and had it fairly tillered to about 20". well on one pull I slipped backwards and fell with the rope still in my hand. I had pulled it passed 28" and it did not blow up so I figured make him a new one and try to make this my first real character bow. besides, 45# might be a bit much for him to pull on his first bow.it sure has a lot of finger pinch at 28" so I shoot it with two fingers and that seems to work out. It has one growth ring for the back and one for most of the belly, just happened that way. is this why it can bend so much?

Pappy and Beadman: I hope she holds together too!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: Osage shorty (full draw pics added)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »
I think the top limb needs some more work around the knot area to bend a bit more and a slight hinge near the end. bottom limb has natural reflex so it looks a little off braced

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:29 pm »
Nice but lets see her yanked all the way back to 28".

Jon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »
Got a lot of bend outta that that's for sure good job
I like osage

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
Ifirit617 - I just tried to put some full draw pics up (28" is my draw length) did they show up ok?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »
Cool little shorty Neo. Like pappy I'm also amazed at the draw length some guys can eek out of a short bow like that one. Nice work man. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:36:16 am »
Wow!  That's amazing.  I see you aren't scared to pull it past 90 deg.!!  Nice work.  You really got all the bend out of that stick of wood.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:59:18 am »
The top limb is pretty whip tillered - it would be better to get the inner and mid limb working more.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:27 pm »
ok... so I wasnt going to do much after I fixed top limbs bend. ended up scraping it down to about 35# draw when all was said sanded and done. added some turkey feathers for a wind gauge and decoration. I left it a little rough looking in a few areas because I liked the look. It feels a little nicer to shoot now that its lighter, puts the arrows where I want and can go all day. Ill try to add some new full draw pics when I can get an assistant! True oil finish with red thread and black for the feathers.