Author Topic: Ash backed Ipe flatbow  (Read 8664 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Ash backed Ipe flatbow
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
The tiller is really perfect. And darn you for having such perfect grain ash, all the ash lumber I have around here has horrid grain!  ;D Heck, I can't even find backing quality hickory around here truth be told. All I can find is maple and bamboo. Really beautiful bow, beautiful job as always.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »
Is this a board bow or did you work this out of a stave?  Great job!

Backed board wood. I've never seen or heard of an ipe stave.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:56 pm »
Richard Saffold has made self bows out of Ipe staves. They weren't tree split staves with  a crowned back, just very straight grained boards. 3/4" widest and thickest point, so very narrow. You need virtually perfect wood and skills to make a bow like that without it twisting.

Once again, this ash backed ipe is a beauty.
                                                                    Hamish.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »
Ehemm...hope to see this in next months BOM....I might even vote for it  8)

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:51 pm »
Richard Saffold has made self bows out of Ipe staves. They weren't tree split staves with  a crowned back, just very straight grained boards. 3/4" widest and thickest point, so very narrow. You need virtually perfect wood and skills to make a bow like that without it twisting.

Once again, this ash backed ipe is a beauty.
                                                                    Hamish.

Thanks!

So... his bows are really not a split stave bow... but a board bow. Straight grain is always the most important thing when choosing dimensional lumber. And you're right... it doesn't take much ipe to make a bow! I've thought ipe would make a self bow, it's very tough wood.

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »
Ehemm...hope to see this in next months BOM....I might even vote for it  8)

Sorry Senor Chicken Hawk... I buy my mag copy off the news stand... so I don't qualify!  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »
I was hinting at ya to make yourself qualified...bows like this should be in the running  8) .......I know...I know.... ::)  :laugh:

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:42:53 pm »
Very nice!  That ash grain is beautiful stuff! Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
there are quite a few bows on here that look really great....and then there are some on here that you really want to get your hands on.....this is one of those that you just want to grab a hold of!!!!! Very nice ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:42 pm »
Very nice! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:59 pm »
Another incredible bow!   Love it!   I have some Ipe I'm hoping to try sometime soon.  Hope it turns out half as nice as this one!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:40 am »
That is a very striking colour combo. Nice stuff! I was inspired by an earlier post of yours  with an ELB style Ipe /Maple?Just happened to come across a beautiful piece of Ipe myself. 5-1/2 " x 1" x 8'. Perfect 1/4 sawn..................Also happened to score a nice 2"x 4"x6' 1/4 sawn White Ash.  Never having worked with Ipe, I was wondering how thick the belly should be?  I'm assuming the back is about 1/8" ?.?. Could I start out with 7/16" (this would give me twice as many out of the board)

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:26 am »
What do you want to build? A flatbow or ELB? Draw weight?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:46 pm »
Thinking  ELB for a couple ,in the #50- #60 range.  Was also thinking of making one in the #80  range ,but I know I would need more than 7/16" for that one.

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 01:39:39 am »
You could easily make an ELB with 7/16" thickness if you made a tri-lam, using 1/4" backing and core. The bow you're referring to (that I recently posted) was ash backed, yew core and ipe belly. Make it 70" to 76" long. Make it 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" wide at the grip and 1" total depth thickness at the handle, and with a 4" straight grip, taper continuously to 1/2" tips. Same with the belly... taper from 1" thick at the grip to 1/2" at the tips and you're ready to start tillering. Get the middle bending first so it doesn't end up whip tillered and then bring your tips around just at the end.