Author Topic: Ash backed Ipe flatbow  (Read 8665 times)

Offline adb

Ash backed Ipe flatbow
« on: October 15, 2013, 02:47:06 pm »
Just finished this up a couple days ago. Ash backed ipe flatbow. 64" ntn, 56#@27". Bulbous handle with a new grip style for me... wrapped leather lacing. Black ebony tip overlays, with round inlaid horn arrow pass. Zero set... absolutely none... even when freshly unbraced. I love ipe. It takes such a small amount to make a bow, and it's tougher than a coffin nail.

Offline adb

Re: Ash backed Ipe flatbow
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
Money shots... left & right.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:55 pm »
One more pic showing the back profile. 1 3/8" at the widest, with continuous taper to 3/16" tips.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:22:55 pm by adb »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:57:53 pm »
Great looking bow Adam. I agree, ipe is mean stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:26 pm »
Ha!! I have an ash backed ipe bow with glue drying in my garage ready to start tillering tonight. I may have to PM with you for some tips, LOL. Even my layered handle/grip is the same. However mine is smaller, I had a 10' piece I cut to 68" and 52". I decided to practice on the smaller one first since it was my first time ever working with ipe.

I love the look of yours and it makes me all the more excited!! 

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »
That is a beautiful bow! I haven't heard a whole lot that's good about ash and had a bad experience with it myself. What kind of things can you expect to see when you back Ipe with it? are the ratios between compression and tension balanced? What are the benefits and drawbacks of using it as a backing?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »
Nice! Always love your ipe bows!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:58 pm »
someday ill try some ipe. beautiful bow.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 04:28:22 pm »
Another beauty,dig every thing about it!I really gotta get my hands on so ipe!do you drive all the way to edmonton to hand pick your wood or just get it mailed?or will any old piece do?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:56 pm »
Another beauty,dig every thing about it!I really gotta get my hands on so ipe!do you drive all the way to edmonton to hand pick your wood or just get it mailed?or will any old piece do?

I drive to Edmonton and pick it myself. Ipe is not unlike any other wood... it's still best to pick it yourself. No knots, no wonky grain, no drying checks, no warpage. The thing I like about getting wood from this guy is, it's all air-dried... not kiln dried. Ipe is great wood. It takes such a small amount to make a bow, it's easy to work with sharp tools, and it looks great once it's finished. You do have to go narrow and thin with it, otherwise your limb mass is too high.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »
That is a beautiful bow! I haven't heard a whole lot that's good about ash and had a bad experience with it myself. What kind of things can you expect to see when you back Ipe with it? are the ratios between compression and tension balanced? What are the benefits and drawbacks of using it as a backing?

I've had very good luck with ash as a backing material, even on narrow profile ELBs up to 85#. No failures. With ipe, I've used: hickory, bamboo, ash, maple and white oak. All have been good.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »
Great looking bow.  I really like the contrast on the light ash and the dark ipe. 

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:04 pm »
Beautiful tiller!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:57 am »
I like that one!  The contrast between the woods really makes it stand out.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 11:50:49 am »
Is this a board bow or did you work this out of a stave?  Great job!