Author Topic: Got it quartered,what's next?  (Read 3161 times)

Bowsage

Got it quartered,what's next?
« on: December 07, 2007, 08:10:40 pm »
This is my second post,first osage log(twist at the end and only 58 in) Will learn how to post pics soon and I expect a video and book on the 11th. I just can't wait! I'd like to know what I am trying to accomplish next. Maybe a rough dimension of the pie, what I am looking for specifically such as what part is important within this quarter, how it is oriented etc.and it's size. I was thinking flatbow 45-48# 28 draw, don't know if it can happen with what I've split. I have an 8 footer by 7in (nice and straight). and I will wait until I learn some more before I tackle it.Any input will be greatly appreciated1!!!         Sage                                                           

Offline PeteC

Re: Got it quartered,what's next?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:08:52 pm »
Sage,if it was me,just starting out,I'd start with the straight wood.Character staves can be tricky. God Bless, Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:10:50 pm »
Can you show some pictures of the stave? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Bowsage

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:46:40 pm »
Just looking for some general info after quartering there Jawge, Thanks

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:00:59 pm »
Never have worked with one that short (though I will ;D). If it's sage, or any other I reckon - be sure and seal everything good. I'd go ahead and work the bark, and if you have time the sapwood off and then seal that too. After that I'd let it set inside for several months to dry, if you work it down to rough bow size It'll dry faster but you'll want to clamp it to a form to stop the twisting and bowing. And like Jawge said if you can - pictures would be great.......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.