Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 28135 times)

Offline JonW

Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »
Man I usually refrain from these type of discussions but I feel the need this time. Too often there are bows posted on the bow forum that will only get just a few hits. There are some good bows by a lot of people. Now don't get all worked up Chris (Blackhawk) 'cause I am only using you as an example. If Chris posted a sapling with a piece of clothesline rope for a string it would get 5-6 pages of hits. Too many times a subjective "competition" will only be a popularity contest. Again Chris no hard feelings bud, I could have used other names to make an example but I am sure you have the proper thickness of skin ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
Man I usually refrain from these type of discussions but I feel the need this time. Too often there are bows posted on the bow forum that will only get just a few hits. There are some good bows by a lot of people. Now don't get all worked up Chris (Blackhawk) 'cause I am only using you as an example. If Chris posted a sapling with a piece of clothesline rope for a string it would get 5-6 pages of hits. Too many times a subjective "competition" will only be a popularity contest. Again Chris no hard feelings bud, I could have used other names to make an example but I am sure you have the proper thickness of skin ;)

Poor Chris is out in his shop working on a bow and sobbing.  The tears are wetting the wood so badly that it will take 6 inches of set while he floor tillers it.  About an hour later he will be burnishing it and shooting it in.  He'll get over it.

Making bows is good therapy, ya know?   ;)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:51 pm »
JW, reading your posts are also good therapy too :D

Reminds me there is always somebody crazier than I am out there...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JonW

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »
I know what ya mean JW. That's why I make up to six a month sometimes. I don't think there is enough hours in a year of Sundays for me to get the therapy I require :o

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2013, 10:59:17 pm »
Best therapy for all of us is to make another bow, and yet we are all nuttier than a squirrel turd..yup, every last one of us.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:55 am »
LMAO  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D  ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

Are you insinuating that Chris is popular?  Lord, what's it all coming to? ;) ;D

I'm glad to see this thread is being kept well. 

I saw IdahoMatt's response and it made me think on all this.  Matt, you raise a good perspective for all of us to keep in mind.  We are all here to share our passion for the things we make.  We shouldn't loose sight of the fact that the things that all of us make are to be celebrated.  There is a common value system that is shared here that I think we sometimes forget in "competition".  We all appreciate the craftsmanship that people take the time out of their life to willingly make a bow and arrows.  They are beautiful things to see and as the old expression goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

If someone is new to this website and feel their bow is too plain and not worthy of being a part of the BOM, well, I'm humbly and sincerely requesting that you RECONSIDER!  All bows made are things to be proud over.

Many people here want to win BOM, sometime.  I'm one of them.  But something has occurred to me over the course of this thread.  I've gone from initially, even before Chris posted this thread up, feeling disappointed that the September turn out was very low and that I may actually win the BOM I've been in pursuit of for nearly five years, but, win it in a less desirable way, always thinking to myself that my peers here will always have the "rolling my eyes" emoticon in their head when they consider the month.

Now, after the progression of this conversation and some consideration I feel good to have posted in a month that has so few entries because I understand more then ever that I can be proud of that.

So, I'm going to try to put down this thread now.  But before I do, I'd like to say "thanks" to Chris for bringing it up and communicating.  Also, I'd like to say "thanks" to everyone who's posted on here with sincere and respectful intentions.  And, not least, "thanks" to the moderators.

Just goes to show that we've all got a good thing going here!  Let's take pride in it!

Respectfully,

Stephen Parnell
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:00:10 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:32 am »
"If  someone is new to this website and feels their bow is to plain and not worthy of being a pert of BOM, well, I'm humbly and sincerely requesting that you RECONSIDER! All bows made are things to be proud over."

Well said Stephen and I couldn't agree more. Consider entering em' all guys and gals ,whatever you make each one is unique and individual and I enjoy seeing them all.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:52 pm »
I totally agree Parnell.  We'll put :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »
Totally agree Greg. Kinda like the tournament fishing comment. Fished a few myself. Many I had little chance of winning, but heck, I was going fishing anyway. Why not throw a little in the Calcutta and make it interesting?  Same with BOM as far as I see it. I built bows before the internet, so few people ever saw them or ever would see them. Made them anyway. I feel like my bows are better now in many ways than they were before I joined PA.   Having said that, I'm competing in BOM with guys who are world class. No shame in playing in that arena regardless of where you finish. Join up and put 'em in. I think you'll be glad you did. Can't strike out if you never step up to the plate, but your chances of being cheered by the fans falls to near zero.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »
Totally agree Greg. Kinda like the tournament fishing comment. Fished a few myself. Many I had little chance of winning, but heck, I was going fishing anyway. Why not throw a little in the Calcutta and make it interesting?  Same with BOM as far as I see it. I built bows before the internet, so few people ever saw them or ever would see them. Made them anyway. I feel like my bows are better now in many ways than they were before I joined PA.   Having said that, I'm competing in BOM with guys who are world class. No shame in playing in that arena regardless of where you finish. Join up and put 'em in. I think you'll be glad you did. Can't strike out if you never step up to the plate, but your chances of being cheered by the fans falls to near zero.

Exactly my thoughts!!!!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
To answer the question that was originally asked-

1. My bows shoot good, but suck for looks.
2. I am lazy- I use hand tools only.
3. I don't really feel like trying to post all my bows.
4. I give too many away.
5. I cannot accuratly measure draw weight. I can just know its over a certian weight.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline KellyG

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2013, 10:37:36 pm »
IT IS HUNTING SEASON NOT BOW BUILDING SEASON! :o >:D

Offline sleek

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »
Wabbit season! Duck season! Wabbit season!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:34 am »
Wabbit season! Duck season! Wabbit season!

" would you like to shoot 'em now , or wait  'till you get home ?"

I love the classic Bugs!