Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 2904 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Recipes
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
Now without this thread turning into a Julia Child thread I'd like to know what way some of you like their venison.I like to put about 2# of loin in a crock pot.Put all kinds of vegetables & patatoes in too.A couple of beef boullin cubes.Add some water and slow cook it for at least 4 hours.I get a lot of mileage out of that myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:51:37 am »
 Backstrap, S&P on the grill,fresh morels and ramps(wild onions) sauteed in butter, serve over rice!

This is a spring time recipe.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:59:18 am by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:53 am »
Tenderloin, S&P, seared on cast iron

Backstrap smoked whole, naked.

Liver and onions, onions completely carmelized, deglaze pan with red wine and reduce to a sauce to drizzle on.

Steak, flash seared with butter then grilled to medium or less

Pulled venison chili (include 1 bottle of beer and a cup of bacon grease.  trust me)

every little scrap too small for steak ground and cut with pork 3:1 for burger
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
Backstrap, sliced in 2 1/2" thickness, wrapped in bacon on thrown on a grille about 450-500 dgs untill the bacon is done.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:03 am »
Or,, lightly floured,  heart and liver, sliced real thin, sauteed in virgin olive oil with onions and mushrooms.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:11 am »
Sear all sides of the back strap in lightly oiled cast iron skillet and place in a 350 over for 15minutes(rare) or 20 minutes(med rare). Remove the meat and set aside to rest. Deglaze the pan with beef bullion(unless you have venison bullion), add a shot of bourbon and heavy cream and reduce. I like to cut the back strap into medallions and serve with the bourbon sauce over it with oven roasted potatoes and a green salad. Any juices from slicing the medallions should be incorperated into the bourbon sauce.  :P
 I have had sliced, battered and fried heart and it was good although a bit tough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:53 am »
I make all my venison steaks the same way. I season flour heavily and then beat the heck out of them with a tenderizing hammer and fry them crispy in butter. I realize chops and loins are already tender. But its so good, kinda' like a sizzler steak. My whole family eats it anytime I make it. Swiss steak is my second choice for any venison steak. Chops, loins or rounds.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:08:07 am »
Great way to use less than prime cuts of venison and pork......

My wife is from Russia and one of the staples for her family is called Pelmeni. It is something that a family sits down together and makes. It's an assembly line and a great family activity. Pelmeni are the stored and used all winter as a quick meal. My wife is originally from Kemerovo Siberia and the winters there are some of the coldest on the planet. Her family lived on the third floor and would store the frozen Pelmeni on the balcony in the winter and it stayed frozen. It was a fast hot meal on cold, long Siberian nights.

Pelmeni are a dumpling like a pot sticker and very simple delicious fast easy food. They are great hot winter food.

I love this recipe as it uses both elk or deer and wild pork.

To make the Pasta

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Mix this in a large bowl until you came manage it like putty. I have a wood top table that I flour up and use to cut the pasta shapes. I roll it out to the desired thickness. I use a jar top about 1 1/2"s in dia to cut circles from the pasta dough.

I use a meat grinder and grind the elk or deer meat and the pork. I grind in onion and garlic into this mix. I use 1/2 pound of venison and 1/2 pound of pork, 1 medium onion and garlic to taste

Scoop a small amount of the meat into the pasta shell. Fold the edges and pinch closed, grab the pointed ends of the Pelmini and pull them back and pinch together. You end up with a round little meat pie. Then you can freeze them. I put them on a cookie sheet first get them frozen I then put the in zip locks or I vacuum seal them.

When we get home from work and we don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking we just drop a fist full of Pelmeni in some bullion and boil until they float. We them serve them in a bowl with sour cream and chives......Mmmmmmmmm good

Enjoy……………………

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
You guys sure do fancy up your deer meat.  I like a more plain meat and potato recipe.  And I don't measure any ingredients.  I just keep adding stuff until it smells about right and then cook it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:48:12 pm »
You guys sure do fancy up your deer meat.  I like a more plain meat and potato recipe.  And I don't measure any ingredients.  I just keep adding stuff until it smells about right and then cook it.

Dadgum redneck. :o
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:57 pm »
Your absolutely right Mullet  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
He sure is..........anybody that walks around for two days with a fork in his hat has to be all redneck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:31 pm »
Im always prepared Pearly.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:37 pm »
:)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »
Brown sugar, ketchup, deer meat, baked potato.   Mmmmmm