Author Topic: I think it's time I stopped  (Read 10435 times)

Offline BowSlayer

I think it's time I stopped
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »
Lately ive been thinking about when I first started archery and why I started.  When i started all I wanted was a bow and a few arrows that I could have fun with in the garden.  But instead had to go on a 6 week training course buy a very expensive FG bow and I had to pay alot in membership fees.  Then I started making bows and before I knew it I was giving them to kids who think of them as toys.

This also got me thinking even though my bows arn't powerful they are still a weapon and can still kill. So if someone comits a crime with one of my bows that I have given to them then I am also responsible.  After thinking and thinking about this I think its time I stopped making bows.

A hobby is fine but archery has taken over my life.  And not in a good way.  It's become an obsession and I always find a way of bringing it up in a random conversion.  This has made me loose freinds. We often joke about bow making being a sickness or a cure. Well im not sure witch it is.  Goodbye
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

Re: I think it's time I stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
Lol please tell me your joking right now......I don't see how it effects your life that much I'm mean I'm addicted to archery to but it surely doesn't take over my whole life
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:00:57 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:07 pm »
I don't even know what to say... :-X

Bye?

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:34 pm »
This kid is a real trip. 5 different names. 1000+ posts. Now he quites. Unacceptable.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:53 pm »
 I shall always remember the dramatic way in which you entered and then departed our lives, leaving us with that big empty space in the middle.  Farewell Bow Slayer.  Farewell.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:47 am »
Something inside me is saying that we haven't heard the last of the Squirrel.  He just likes to jerk us around too much to stay away... even if he wants us to think that... :)  The fun part will be trying to guess what new pseudonym he will use.

If not, well... you had a good run Squirrely.  Keep your stick on the ice!

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14:16 am »
O_o call me irrational but why not just stop letting it be that much of an obsession? I mean honestly it's become and addiction for me to add to the list of other crazy addictions I have. It's still just a hobby, its something fun to mess with, it doesn't control your life. You aren't required to make bows for people or to give them out to people. That's a choice. If it's too hard for you to carry on a conversation that doesn't include archery maybe broaden your horizons and gain interest in more than just one singular hobby. It's not like making bows or archery are some self destructive drug I mean hell you aren't doing heroin or meth so why not stick with it and keep enjoying making bows, keep enjoying having a productive hobby that gives you something to strive for. Something you can always look at and think to yourself "I can make a better one next time".....
Eh just my half a cent there. But whatever have fun and enjoy life!
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:59:42 am »
No im not joking.  And im not coming back uder any different handles. Im just going to finish up this last bow post it and then leave.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
I tried to resist posting in here, but couldn't.

I hope this comes across in the way I mean it to - helpful and thoughtful, as compared to an insult.

You've yet to post a bow that people are impressed by.  So far, you've only shown poorly tillered bows, rushed bows, and bows that aren't finished.  You came damn close recently with a recurved bow, but again it wasn't finished.  It was rough, hard edged and looked totally rushed.  My advice to you - stick at it until you feel you've actually accomplished something on an acceptable level.  Here's why.

If you give up now, when you look back in a few years, bow making will seem like something you tried but never finished.  You won't be able to call yourself "a bowyer" because you've yet to "finish" a bow, you won't be able to say to yourself "yeah, I learnt a skill there" because you've not learnt even half the things required to state that.  If you quit now, you'll have wasted all the months you spent being autodidactic and it won't have ended up meaning anything.  You'll have a handful of half-finished out-of-tiller bows covered in tool marks and a few kids / people will have a bow you made.  They won't kill anybody, the bows aren't powerful enough.  They won't be particularly proud of them, because they don't look slick, finished and professional.  The bows will either break soon, or develop hinges/chrysal with enough shooting and become useless.  This isn't an insult to you, or your bowmaking, it happens to all of us.  Nobody can do something as skilled as making effective bows within a year of trying.  It just doesn't happen.

Set yourself a goal, and see it through to the end, if for no other reason than to be proud of yourself, and to learn vital life lessons that include not just walking away before you see something to it's end.  Your goal should be "I want to start, finish and FINISH a bow before I call this newly acquired interest done."  That means make an effective bow, of a sensible poundage, with great tiller and lovely finish.  Sanded, polished, burnished, oiled and detailed with well shaped nocks or overlays.  Something you'd be able to hang on your wall with pride, sell to somebody safe in the knowledge that visitors to their house will say "wow, how much did that cost?! Is that hand made?!"

If you can achieve that (in any length of time, no point rushing as it won't happen) then for sure, call it done and walk away and do something else with your time.  But until you can actually, honestly tell yourself that you're proud of what you've accomplished, quitting will just be a waste of everything you've done so far.  If it takes you one more bow, fine.  If it takes 100 bows to get there, fine.  It doesn't need to happen next week.  You could keep dabbling in bow making for the next 10 years before you get to that point of pride - doesn't matter.  By the end, you'll have actually learned a skill and discovered patience and pride in your work.  These aren't wasted talents, and they'll be more important during your life than you'll ever realise.

Don't quit.  By all means don't feel you have to post on forums if it's the constant beating down of your posts that is making you want to stop.  Places like this are fantastic for advice and help if that's what you want.  If you're posting a bow because you just want praise, you're in the wrong place.  You won't get praise until you can praise yourself.  Step away from the forums for a bit, get your head down and finish learning how to make a completed bow. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:59 am »
See ya,have a good life. It ant for everybody. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:27 am »
Patience ,patience,patience bow slayer.You are short in that department.We all have those tendencies.Your excuses for quitting are not the real problem here the way I see it.I think your a good kid really,a little kooky but mean well.But each to his own.Success comes at a price and that takes time.There are no shortcuts out there no matter what you endeaver in.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:25:14 am »
No im not joking.  And im not coming back uder any different handles. Im just going to finish up this last bow post it and then leave.

I'll be on the lookout for bows made from flooring ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
One thing about it, this kid can post about farting sideways and he gets at least 25 responses. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:57 am »
This is gonna be obvious to most and offensive to some, but where I come from if you pet a cur dog he'll hang around... I don't see you goin anywhere.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:49:12 am »
I'm with you, Scott, heck, someone up above already tossed him a bone. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?