Author Topic: Loins,hamburger,deer hide,and sinew[button buck]  (Read 13414 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Loins,hamburger,deer hide,and sinew[button buck]
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:27:52 pm »
Well yesterday evening around 6:00PM I was watching a couple of deer 70 to 80 yards away from my deerstand.I had the bleat can with me so I turned it over once.Within 2 to 3 minutes this deer was on its' way to me.He had to come down a steep grade for 20 feet before he got into my shooting zone.When he did that he broke into a slow lope going right past me under 10 yards away.I was ready and followed him up with my 600 grain dogwood on my sinewed,horn bellied, maple bow.I marked him as he went by and saw the shaft sink clear to the fletching.It was a good shot and I felt good about it.He ran hard for 40 to 50 feet and as he did that the arrow came loose from him.He stopped and just stood there tail down and really looked like a hurting unit.Licking at the other side of himself that the arrow entered.He turned and slowly walked away into the woods over a little rise and out of sight.I waited another hour or so.Came down from my stand and checked the situation out.My arrow laid there red from tip to tip and a good sized blotch of blood on the ground too.It was a pass through shot.It was getting dark so I went to the house.I had some deer chili warm in a crock pot waiting anyway.The weather here has been darn near getting into the 30s' sunrise so I figured I'd find him tomorrow hoping the coyotes would leave him alone.Well about 9:00AM the next morning it took me about an hour but I found him about a block or so from where he was shot.The coyotes did find him and ate part of a hind quarter but the rest of him was fine.I keep calling it a him because I really thought it was a big doe when he came loping by me.I've boned him out and saved the loins already.Actually the loins were warm yet to a degree this morning.I'll make hamburger out of the boned out meat and call it good.
Now the hard part starts to get after some horns.So far I've seen 8 different bucks[Mostly forked or six points or smaller 8 points around so the rut is beginning to pick up pretty good.I saw one really nice at least a pope and young 10 point this morning so I hope he sticks around......LOL.
Here's some pictures.First the shaft the way I found it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Loins,hamburger,deer hide,and sinew[button buck]
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »
Blotch of blood
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »
The way I found him and what the coyotes ate.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »
Deer,bow and quiver
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »
This was the first time I've tried to use the timer on this camera and was surprised it did work.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »
Nice job following through Ed. That bow looks mean as hell.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:37 pm »
Congratulations! too bad about the yotes getting there first, at least they were willing to share.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »
Thanks Chris.Yes I made that bow last march and promised myself I'd try to get a deer with it.It shoots those 600 grain dogwoods at a good rate for me.That poor deer did'nt stand a chance.Not at 10 yards anyway......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »
Yes mullet they gotta eat too I guess.It's there world you know.Finders keepers losers weepers.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »
I still think I can get a good 60 to 70 pounds out of him yet if I cut a little pork in with the hamburger anyway.The hide is missing a piece but there's at least 8 square feet of brain tan leather there plus his sinew of course.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
congrats!  glad you caught up with him. shame bout the yotes tho  :embarassed:
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 05:42:28 pm »
Good job finding it.  Kind of stinks the scavengers found it first. 

I'd like to see some close up pictures of that bow you are using.  I'm with Pearly, it looks mean.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:26:15 pm »
It don't bother much the coyotes got to it.They live here too.Like I said it's their world I'm visiting.Guess that was their tax assumption......LOL.It was a fun hunt.Although I would really love to see one come within bow range of me.I'd try like heck to give him some of my dogwood in his doggy......LOL.
Pearly and Osage Outlaw if you type in [Maple bow in trouble] in your search it'll come up.It'll explain it all.Pictures of it are on page 2 of that thread.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »
Nice job Beadman hope your able to salvage some meat for yourself from that deer. We got the same thing where I hunt, if your deers out overnight the coyotes WILL find it, and they don't leave much to salavege.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:02 pm »
Looks like you may need to put some traps out for the yotes. A good old fashion flat set near the gut pile should do the job.