Author Topic: Ok people I am freaking flabbergasted, what the crap is going on here?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Maxspin

Re: Ok people I am freaking flabbergasted, what the crap is going on here?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
Glad I'm not the only one!  :o

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 06:06:12 pm »
Welp, just to update yall, everything is measuring the same, braced or unbraced.  ;D Bow is 75" ntn, string is 72 3/4" from end to end. So the string is 2 1/4" shorter. Brace height is about 5 3/4" or so. The string measures the same length braced or unbraced. I was thinking maybe due to it's positive tiller, it may make it seem a bit higher than normal, I don't know.

You make a Dacron string 3" shorter because it'll stretch down 1". FF won't stretch so it'll only be 2" shorter..........Art

I've never heard this before anywhere else, I make my flemish ff stings 3" shorter, but that is before they stretch out, right after I twist them up.

I measure the length of the actual wood, I think you did that also? Didn't you?

Yup.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
Toomany,

What are you using for your String Jig?

I had a similar problem with Endless Loop Strings before I switched to Reverse Twist strings.
It turned out my String Jig was bowing there by making my strings come up an inch or so short.

It happened most with longer strings...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline artcher1

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:02 pm »
Welp, just to update yall, everything is measuring the same, braced or unbraced.  ;D Bow is 75" ntn, string is 72 3/4" from end to end. So the string is 2 1/4" shorter. Brace height is about 5 3/4" or so. The string measures the same length braced or unbraced. I was thinking maybe due to it's positive tiller, it may make it seem a bit higher than normal, I don't know.

You make a Dacron string 3" shorter because it'll stretch down 1". FF won't stretch so it'll only be 2" shorter..........Art

I've never heard this before anywhere else, I make my flemish ff stings 3" shorter, but that is before they stretch out, right after I twist them up.

I measure the length of the actual wood, I think you did that also? Didn't you?

Yup.

So, once your string settles in, and you have to give it a few twist to maintain brace height, that it'll be 'bout 2" shorter than the bow? ;) ;D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
lol  :) I think every bowyer becomes a great string maker................I make 3 strings to every bow I make.  The good thing about that is after 10 -12 bows you might have a string for the next bow you build  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:23 pm »
I always measure the string im tillering with while the bow is strung at proper brace to get get the lengh.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »
The string I tiller with is the string I use. I make it long to start with then shorten it as the bow is ready. By time I am down to brace, the string is already all stretched out and ready to go too. No worries :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
I always measure the string im tillering with while the bow is strung at proper brace to get get the lengh.

Smart idea, I will do that next time.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:17 pm »
Try a flemish twist double looper....what a pain  ;)

Heck no, not me!  That's out of my pay grade.  I tried it a few times and I ain't got it.  One loop and a bowyer's knot for me;  that way I can always make it way too long the first time.  I know it's wasteful, but I am not a math guy, so it keeps me from making a half a dozen strings that won't fit my bow. :) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:51 pm »
The string I tiller with is the string I use. I make it long to start with then shorten it as the bow is ready. By time I am down to brace, the string is already all stretched out and ready to go too. No worries :)
nice I like it
Always learning something new.