Author Topic: Polecat's rebirth  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Polecat's rebirth
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »
Looky whats coming!    ;D

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Polecat's rebirth
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »
Wow haven't seen this one before, looks very interesting...........more details, more details please......................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »
DBar, the original Polecat I made from a 2" diameter osage shoot. I sawed it in half lengthwise, removed the bark and sealed the ends and back with shellac and set the two halves aside to dry. Over a few months both took up about 6" of reflex. I sent one half to "Little John" (Kenneth) and began to work on the other. It ended up 66" t/t and pulled about 55#@26". Polecat had a very high crown. I removed all but 2 or 3 sapwood rings. Because of the high crown and high reflex it developed a crack across the sapwood back. I unbraced the bow and she has been hanging in my utility room since then. Earlier this year I removed the sapwood ring that was cracked(only one ring deep) and shortened the bow to 57" and reflexed the tips a bit.
  Shortly after adding the sinew to my 56" osage static recurve I added two layers of cow sinew to this bow. She has been held in reflex with the para cord you see in the pics since the sinew was added. That was July 17. I hope to start retillering her soon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:02:39 pm »
Pat,
very 8)  project!........the information that one can find on this site is amazing.  Where else can you find info like this.  I've got a small diameter limb mulberry stave that I have split in half. It has taken on a bit of reflex.  I have plans to keep some sap wood on it's back. 
After removing 2-3 rings off the back of polecat and adding sinew what kind of poundage do you think you will end up with ?  Will you pike is some?

Please keep posting your progress.
Thanks
DBar

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »
I've had trouble using paracord for tillering string and holding in reflex becauase of all the stretch. What's that little toggle you have on the string?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:05:50 pm »
I'm looking for 50# to 60# @26" and no, I will not pike it as it is already 57" now.
 On my second pole bow after cutting the pole in half lengthwise I bound the two halves back together with wood spacers in between them for good air circulation. That reduced the reflex to 0 but the staves(pole halves) remained straight from side to side. I added the desired reflex later. I also left all the sapwood on that pole and it worked out just fine. That bow was for a TradGang bow trade a few years ago.

Bubbles, the toggle is for tightening up the para cord when it stretches. As the sinew dried the para cord became slack.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »
Oh yea miss you shorting it to 57"  that makes more since now ,..................shorting it before sinew.  Thanks and keep posting your progress ....learning a lot,  never sinewed a bow yet, but gathering sinew this year and planning on doing one in the near future.
Thanx
DBar

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »
 8)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »
Pat how do you like the cow sinew compared to deer.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
Rob, I like the way it works a lot better. When shredded it feels softer and it is longer strands. I was given this sinew already shredded so I can't compare the shredding process with deer or other sinews.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »
You must be drying out a little down there Pat.  You picked a rough year for some sinew projects.  Can't wait to see this little bugger finished up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 09:48:03 pm »
Nice job Pat.Just from a little stick of wood.....LOL.I've done bows that way a few times too.They always have turned out sweet for me.Nothing wrong with cow sinew I found either.Especially backstrap.That stuff can get 30" long.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:02 am »
I need to find some of that backstrap sinew, Ed. I love deer backstrap just because it is long and shreads esily.
 Clint, usually Sept and Oct are our dry months. We only had 6" in Sept and today is the first rain this month and so far it is only .08" We are definately getting into the dry time of year.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:27:13 am »
I've only got one more strap of mine left of that cow back strap.The only thing I got against backstrap is that I have to soak it longer in water to soften it before dipping it in the glue.Leg tendon tore apart most times gets soft white and softens instantly in water.Makes for a flatter smoother nicer sinew job in my opinion.If I pick up some more I'll bring it to the classic for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 07:46:28 am »
Now that one should scat and arrow  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good