Author Topic: Question on backing a bow  (Read 876 times)

Offline yebon

Question on backing a bow
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:03:30 pm »
I am starting my first bow.  I have been going to lowes and home depot for about 2.5 months and have not found a decent board to use.  I did however find one that was OK but i fear it still may have too many runoffs.  Is it possible to use a backing like hickory or sinew are something along those lines or do you guys have any other suggestions.  The board i have is Red Oak.  Thanks for any advise.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on backing a bow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:23 pm »
Hickory works well with red oak. Make the backing 1/8" or less thick. Years ago I made a hickory backed red oak(Lowes) pyramid that still holds reflex and shoots well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Question on backing a bow
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:13:25 pm »
With a backing, Red oak can probably handle more run offs than you might think if tillered well.  In 2.5 months you might have had a couple bows by now!   I say, on the next trip, pick the absolute BEST board from the pile that day, throw a backing on it and let the chips fly.   I can usually find a couple on every trip that will make a decent bow with a backing.  If you really want to go without a backing, you need to be much more wary of grain selection.   But I'm still a newbie at this.  Here's one I made with the most grain run-off - 68"ntn, 1.5" wide, 50#@26" bendy handle, unbacked 1.5" of just unbraced set.  Now, most of the run-off is near the tips, where it is doing the least bending, but there is still a fair amount of run-off.  It's not tillered perfectly and it's over-built, but it's got 1000's of arrows through it and it's decently fast, and I learned a lot from making it.  You might be waiting a while for a flawless board, when you could be learning a lot from no-so-perfect wood. I say get to it!