Author Topic: Z handle?  (Read 5782 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Z handle?
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
has anyone got any pics of a bow with a z shaped handle i remember seeing one recently and wan't to use it on my next bow so was wondering if anyone had any pics. thanks.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Z handle?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:17:01 am »
There was a bow on a while back call old sows ear I think that had a z handle.  Can't quite remember hope it helps :)

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:51 am »
has anyone got any pics of a bow with a z shaped handle i remember seeing one recently and wan't to use it on my next bow so was wondering if anyone had any pics. thanks.

Why do you keep picking these more advanced projects?? Can't you find a nice clean board and make a good solid pyramid bow, tiller it well and finish it nicely?? I don't get it. Also, I'd do a W splice at the very least, especially if it'll be un-backed.

Offline campx

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
Not exactly a Z handle, but it is skewed decently to allow for a more 'center shot'.

holmie 024 by CampX, on Flickr

Offline ErictheViking

"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »

Why do you keep picking these more advanced projects?? Can't you find a nice clean board and make a good solid pyramid bow, tiller it well and finish it nicely?? I don't get it. Also, I'd do a W splice at the very least, especially if it'll be un-backed.

x2, Ithink if you take your time on a simple build you'll have a great bow.
Springfield, MO

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:34:40 pm »
I dont know why you guys discourage people like this. It is worthless because he isnt and shouldnt listen. The only way anybody learns is from failing and seeing other peoples failures. Who cares? If it works it works. He asked a question, SO ANSWER IT!! He didnt ask for your oppinion if he is good enough to do it. If he really isnt, he'll find that out. And it really isnt THAT complicated so just let him do it. Now can we just tell him the answer to his question? Nobody wants to hear it and you will turn this site into something nobody wants to get on. Like you guys need to get over it because nobody cares. Now slayer, that sow's ear was probably one of the coolest bows ive seen if i remember right. Check that out.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »
I think the advice to simplify has been spot on.  Thoreau was right.  Bow Slayer has made progress with his bows since he began, but he is obviously still working on getting the basics right.  I don't care what he builds and neither does anyone else really, but when you log onto this forum, advice is what you will get.  It's a given.  Some you will use and some you will not.  Taking that advice as some kind of personal attack seems to me to be....well, thin skinned to say the least.  Keep it simple until you master the simple, that's my advice.  If you decide to go another direction, good for you.  I was much the same way.  Scars to prove it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 01:07:42 am »
As a coach and tutor I don't think it's a good idea to withhold advanced information any more than it's a good idea to advise a student/beginner to go over their head.

Do I think BowSlayer would benefit from slowing down and nailing the basics?
Do I think a soccer player needs to know how to pass before they learn to do a bicycle kick?
Do I think an artist needs to grasp concepts of form and value before learning to draw anime?

Yup. However, I'm not going to withhold the Z handle, the bicycle kick, or the anime practice for the benefit of my own principals. Instead I shall wait patiently for yet another student to get tired of making bad drawings, failing passes, and breaking bows. When they want and are willing to learn, and only then, will I expect my input to be respected on the same level as their opinion.

That being said, sow's ear : http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42496.msg569409.html#msg569409
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 02:08:44 am »
A z handle is not complex bowyery. I'm not sure why you guys are making it out to be an advanced art form. Cosmetic configurations are just basic bowyery.
 Performance increasing attributes are things to put on hold but making a deliberate lopsided handle is not something to be cautioned against.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:17:00 am »
Are we talking about a z handle, or a z splice? There seems to be two different conversations here. Regardless, I think young squirrel should master some basics first. Walk before yah run kinda stuff. Just a thought.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:40 am »
A z handle is not complex bowyery. I'm not sure why you guys are making it out to be an advanced art form. Cosmetic configurations are just basic bowyery.
 Performance increasing attributes are things to put on hold but making a deliberate lopsided handle is not something to be cautioned against.

Yeah, there's that too. My third shooter had a funky z handle. it's not like he's making a snaky five curve takedown sextuplaminate.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 05:34:08 am »
Guys im looking to do a z handle not a z splice. Thanks for all those who have helped.  And I know im making a bit of a jump but if it breaks then I've broken a stick and learnt a lesson at the same time. If it works then ive also learnt something.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 09:26:36 am »
I dont know why you guys discourage people like this. It is worthless because he isnt and shouldnt listen. The only way anybody learns is from failing and seeing other peoples failures. Who cares? If it works it works. He asked a question, SO ANSWER IT!! He didnt ask for your oppinion if he is good enough to do it. If he really isnt, he'll find that out. And it really isnt THAT complicated so just let him do it. Now can we just tell him the answer to his question? Nobody wants to hear it and you will turn this site into something nobody wants to get on. Like you guys need to get over it because nobody cares. Now slayer, that sow's ear was probably one of the coolest bows ive seen if i remember right. Check that out.

And this reply was no more helpful than any others on this thread you deemed "wrong".

Squirrel nutz I dont have a clue what thread your talking about. Be careful cutting the Z out of a straight board and be sure you have ample support on the belly side of the grip, with fades, so it doesnt explode at the center. Cutting in a large Z creates mega run outs. SLOW DOWN AND THINK ahead all the time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:31:00 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 10:09:07 am »
Let us know how it turns out. Occasionally I have to remind myself what Paul Comstock said in one of his books: the handle should taper an inch or two past the fades, otherwise there is a chance the limb will break between the base of the handle and the fade.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.