Author Topic: New To the Forum!  (Read 6235 times)

Offline MadMike

New To the Forum!
« on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:39 am »
hello guys, i'm Mike.. new here not sure where this would go.

also new to the whole selfbow thing, been studying up on it for a while now, i'm 20 years old and cut trees for a living (bow wood!) i'm the only one in my family who hunts, i'm self/internet taught, and passed hunter education when i was 12, got my first deer kill that year as well! (12g shotgun) got my first bow kill when i was 14, with a compound bow (i'm good with those 1" groups at 40yards)

i ordered a longbow its a hickory backed osage bow 72" NTN #50 @30" i pull 28" so #40ish for me.

i've been shooting it for a couple weeks now and i can get 5-8" groups at 20 yards...i think this is really my thing..i've always wanted to live primitively since i was 10 or so watching tarzan!

like i said i've been researching for a long while and know most of it on paper...just have to actually do it!

just an introduction of myself, hope to be a big part of this community!

P.S the woods i can get are: Hackberry, Live oak, Pin oak, Chinese tala(sp?) Crepe mytrle, Pecan, Ash...thats about it off the top of my head...not much osage around here...thinking i want to try hackberry as my first attempt.

Offline Joec123able

Re: New To the Forum!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:25:39 am »
Welcome ! Hackberry is good bow wood. Now just delete the word bow after compound and change it to contraption then we'll be good LOL
I like osage

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:38 am »
If you let people know where you are from ,you'll likely get some people from that area that will chime in with all kinds of helpful info.  I think the Moderators will move this over to another area , but people always look at the "show new posts" under your login in name. (very handy) Welcome aboard!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:38:52 am »
Welcome dude!  With your access to pecan I'm gonna make a wild guess and say you're from Georgia.  The more you learn the more you learn that there's a lot to learn.  Get on it as fast as you can.  Get some staves seasoning ASAP.  Collect as many as you can store and relax and hit those staves one after the other.  Good luck!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:43:14 am »
Texas, 8 pecan trees in my front yard, 2 in the back! A LOT of them around here.

thanks for the welcoming me guys!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 01:28:29 am »
Hey mike just as a heads up these bowyers are a little on the off side if u are pretty city-ish. They are weird but probably some of the coolest guys u will meet. Welcome to the real world!
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:58:29 am »
oh no i'm about as country as they come lol...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 06:09:51 am »
Welcome Mike.You'll have a blast.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 06:19:31 am »
Welcome aboard friend!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:58:04 am »
Welcome Mike. Sounds like your ready to jump in full bore, gonna be fun having you here on the site. You'll find that you won't have to go at it alone if you post questions and pictures of your projects along the way, lots of people here will want to help you learn and you'll get some good advice. Get some wood ready cause I think your gonna like doing this. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:27:16 am »
 Welcome aboard! Get the traditional bowyers Bible books and read them cover to cover.  Get some wood cut and split, and sealed. You might be able to trade some green staves for a seasoned stave or two, i would if i lived closer.
45# at 27"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 10:04:50 am »
Welcome aboard fellow Texican!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 10:50:50 am »
hey welcome aboard. can't wait to see your first bow. and pictures lots of pictures ;)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:14:29 am »
Welcome Mike.  You will find so much help on here. People are very selfless with the info they have attained trough a long hard study of the art.  Collectively there is more info here that you will find very useful.  Can't wait to see you first bow ;D

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:42:50 pm »
    welcome, and good hunting the bow

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club