Author Topic: Tiller Check-Finished tillering!!! full draw updated page 2  (Read 6049 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Tiller Check-
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 11:34:42 am »
+1 adb's assessment.  Check your bend with a 4" straight edge.  I think you will see the fade area bending more than the rest.  Get the mids bending evenly with the inner limb.  Last 4 inches or so wont bend.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Tiller Check-
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:44 am »
You are very close WM157.It's looking pretty good.Just some minor scrapes here and there.This is the slow down touchy time.Excercise it well between wood removal taking it to your draw weight.At brace measure at egual intervals the space from the belly to the string on each limb first.Your bump on your left limb can be confusing [look at the belly line in that area and not the back]but it's still very close.Looks like a really nice future bow to me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WoodMunkey157

Re: Tiller Check-Finished tillering!!! full draw updated page 2
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »
Here is a look at the final tiller, she pulls 56-58lbs at 26.5", right in the vicinity I wanted her. Thanks again for all the wise words and guidance! I really do appreciate the help.  No cosmetic work on this one yet but ill update that later! hope to take my first deer this season;)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 02:02:00 pm »
Sweet. I'm working on a HHB that looks very similar
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »
That looks pretty decent! Your mid-limbs are working now. Does the top limb have a bit of prop twist?

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
yes, top limb has a prop twist. dry heated the tips and limbs quite a bit and didn't want to fuss with it too much! Im happy with how she turned out. only my 5th or 6th bow and first crack at flipped tips. All in all I am learning more and more and still loving it!

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »
A little bit of prop twist is actually not horrible, and usually doesn't effect accuracy. It will be twisting towards the weak side if you want to correct it a bit. Seems like you have quite a bit of weight to work with. How's your string alignment?

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:04 pm »
abd- can you explain your last comment a bit? Are you saying to correct the limb twist I should remove wood from the stronger side of the twisted limb?

The string tracks just left of center which lines up nicely with my arrow shelf.

Here is a video of it being shot.
http://youtu.be/3MRPRtxPl1s

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:33:30 pm »
The limb will twist towards the weaker side. So... if you're looking down the limb from the nock end with the bow braced, and the limb is twisting to the left and the string is out of alignment also to the left, you can remove wood just from the right side of the limb. Leave the bow braced, and take some scrapes. Check for realignment, and continue until it corrects. Be careful you don't get everything else out of whack, or you don't go too far. Go easy. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Also, if you can, get someone else to pull your bow on the tiller tree and step way over to the side and look at the bow from the side as it flexes... both sides... and you can check string alignment and prop twist this way too. Sometimes prop twist doesn't show up until full draw, and if this happens, it's not too big a deal. It really doesn't effect the bow much. If you see prop twist at brace, that's a different story, and you should fix it.

I've had some bows, especially self bows, that I could not eliminate a bit of prop twist, no matter what I did. They still shot wonderfully.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:41:09 pm by adb »

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 12:46:17 am »
abd-that helped, got it running dead center now. thanks ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:14 am »
No problem! Glad I could help.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:13 am »
That tiller looks pretty doggone good to these eyes!  How does it shoot?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:07 am »
^ thanks!
Shoots to my liking;) fast n quite I think. Check the video link out up above.
Thanks to all who took a look or left a cmt.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 05:43:41 am »
On page one you mention being disappointed on your 1st real braceing. I will sometimes use a ruler an check the distance from belly to string on both limbs at the fades, midlimb then about 8 inches down from the nocks, prior to any drawing. Also even when using a long string and pulling the limbs down as you did in your 1st pics, you are already putting more stress on the bow than a low brace. But all in all it appears you turned this one out rather nicely.

How much reflex did it retain after full draw pics?
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 06:42:16 am »
^ I was  a bit disappointed at the initial low brace. It looked a bit whip tillered to me if I am using that term correctly. It didn't however appear to be a problem in the end nor did it affect performance.

I am sure had I measured from the fades and midlimbs on the belly to the string, each limb would have recorded different heights.

It ended up with a bit of a positive tiller on the top limb which actually shoots to my liking very  much.

After unbracing it retains about 2" of reflex . Closer to 3" after resting for a while.