Author Topic: Tiller Check-Finished tillering!!! full draw updated page 2  (Read 6048 times)

Offline WoodMunkey157

Tiller Check-Finished tillering!!! full draw updated page 2
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
Tillering on the long string- 63'' osage recurve. both limbs 31.5''. Right Side has more reflex at rest I think and a nice knot which is making things difficult. Right side is a little shorter and stronger and thus will be my bottom limb, am I correct in saying that?

Second picture there is a shim under the handle on the left side to balance the limbs level before I draw the bow. First photo the handle is just resting and this may or may not be affecting things.  I am afraid I am whip tillering this. Don't want to brace it until my tiller is looking spot on. Please lend your expert eyes.

Thanks in advance guys!

Here are some full draw pictures from both sides on page two. All the advice you guys gave me helped a ton. So much knowledge here! Thanks again...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:54:48 pm by WoodMunkey157 »

Offline ssgtchad

Re: Tiller Check-
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:06:18 pm »
It would help to see the bow unbraced so we can see the reflex you were talking about.  To me it looks like bow limbs are stiff in the middle thirds. And I wouldn't take anything off the left fade. But this is jmo.
Always learning something new.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
Having not seen it unbraced my best guess is that you have a lot of scraping to do in the outer limbs. From what we can see it looks like there are hinges at both fades.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 05:11:15 pm »
 :o weak inner limbs are evil... 
don't pull anymore!

(unless you have built in a strong deflex there)
Don't shoot!

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:25:01 pm »
thanks boys,
hopefully she is salvageable. I always seem to get it bending really heavily outve the fades. get the outer limb bending is what I am gathering...

here is the unbraced profile with a shim to level the handle, should I be  shimming it level?? feel like that helps give me a more realistic look at the bend of the limbs.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:08:30 pm »
Yep, definitely get the outer limbs bending a lot more. I start my bend mostly in the outer limbs due to my older bows developing minor compression fractures in the fades as I shoot them.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:19 pm »
Left limb just at the fade looks borderline hinge , it should look about like the right side , it's looking okay but you need to work from about mid limb out . I don't see much bending from the middle out .

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:15:33 pm »
for good measure(w/o a leveling shim then w/ a leveling shim as mentioned above^)

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:20:27 pm »
as I am removing meat off the belly I should be exercising the limb a lot to see improvement correct?

Will update in the next couple hours. Hang with me, thanks guys!

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
against my better judgment I braced the bow low. about 4 ish inches. the difference in the limbs is very noticeable to me at brace. Im sure you can see it. At this point is there something I can do to correct it ? I believe it was the result of a heavier amount of reflex on the knotted side that led to making a weak fade on the other side. Here are some updated photos. Let me know what you think.

Offline echatham

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:09:13 pm »
that last pic is lookin better to me.  i have always heard, and i do, exercise the limbs by pulling to the draw length i have tillered to about 30-40 times before taking another picture.  pictures are great cause you can stare at it all night!  can't do that on the tree!

Offline echatham

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:06 pm »
whats all the dark colored spots?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
Your outter limbs are still way to stiff to much bend in the fade areas
I like osage

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:29 am »
...The very reason I brace mine as soon as I can wrestle a string on it.  Braced 3-4 inches I can step back and look at the profile, check the bend with my straight edge, make both limbs match, and then pull it a little farther and check again.  It will be way heavy, but you will tiller away any wood that may take any set.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
Your outter limbs are still way to stiff to much bend in the fade areas

??? ??? The tips are reflexed, so they will always remain 'stiff.' I think the fades are bending nicely, as well. If that bow was mine, I'd get the mid-limbs working.