Author Topic: i got the best job in the world today!  (Read 3886 times)

Offline BowSlayer

i got the best job in the world today!
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:42:37 am »
well some may remember my recent oak recurve/reflex bow that i made. i got that piece of wood from a flooring company next to my college. but they asked to see pictures of the bow when done. when i showed the guy the pictures they said it was "amazing" i asked for any other scraps/offcuts that were arround 60-70" and they prodduced two more oak boards. i told them to say thankyou for all this wood i would make them a bow, he then said if i do a good job with it ill give you a job.

this would mean going out on site laying flooring and this squirrel might even be able to use a fork lift >:D ::) :laugh: what makes it even better is they said anything left over i can have for my bows for free! and if that wasn't good enough ive even got access to laminations of hickory,ash,oak and mahoghany! (but no osage :P :-[)

the bow i made him is 65" TTT with a 4" handle. it is a pyramid style flatbow, it is finnished with a rubber (sorry not primative) grip for a handle and then two coats of parafin wax as a finnish. it came in at arround 20#@28" i know that's kids bow weight but it's his first bow so really i wanted him to learn to shoot with this before i make him a more powerfull bow. he seemed really happy with it and has agreed to give me a part time job that fits in around my college time table.

here are some pictures.

this F/D pic is at an angle.

thanks for looking. lets hear some comments ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: i got the best job in the world today!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:41 am »
Well done.
Life is all about the work you put in and the contacts you make. The more you put in the more you get out.
One of the odd things about making bows, is the bits you don't enjoy much now, will become the bits you really like later on.
I used to hate doing horn nocks, but I like it now ;D.
As my skills improved I got quicker and slicker at it and found I could add some artistry.
So, take time even with the less exciting bits, especially the tips of a bow, excess weight there will rob the bow of speed, and mistakes can give you weak spots.
Good to see you progressing and enjoying yourself.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:43:02 am »
Well done.
Life is all about the work you put in and the contacts you make. The more you put in the more you get out.
One of the odd things about making bows, is the bits you don't enjoy much now, will become the bits you really like later on.
I used to hate doing horn nocks, but I like it now ;D.
As my skills improved I got quicker and slicker at it and found I could add some artistry.
So, take time even with the less exciting bits, especially the tips of a bow, excess weight there will rob the bow of speed, and mistakes can give you weak spots.
Good to see you progressing and enjoying yourself.
Del

thanks, del
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 11:48:42 am »
Well done on the bow and good luck with the new job.Del gave you some good advice, it pays to listen to old people.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skarhand

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »
Congrats on the job! Its always great to find a job you like. And if the boss likes you all the better, lol.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:02 pm »
good luck on the new job!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
Looks good but before you give away any more bows you really need to work on sanding and smoothing out all those rough tool marks it would look so much better
I like osage

Offline keef

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:06:37 pm »
Congratulations on getting a job mate.. Good stuff.

What is the string made of out of interest.. Looks very primitive

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »
Good job on the tiller, but like others have said, work on the finishing, tool marks, round the corners a bit more and work on those tips.

You don't need tip overlays, i would much rather have nicely finished simple tips without overlays than what is above.

Good job though and congrats on the job. 
45# at 27"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:24:39 pm »
Here is a simple tip on one of the first bows i made, red oak board bow, no overlays. I wouldn't make it so long now, but you get the point, sometimes less is more. I'm not saying these are anything special, just simple functional bow tips.

45# at 27"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:53:35 pm »
a background in wood working, heck thats the first step in becoming a great bowyer.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »
Congratulations on getting a job mate.. Good stuff.

What is the string made of out of interest.. Looks very primitive

thanks everyone for wishing me well on the job and about the bow. the bow string is all natural fibre, not sure what exact material my freind makes it and gave it to me on a roll. i then twist it together and tie a loop in each end and then add a nocking point for the arrow.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
a background in wood working, heck thats the first step in becoming a great bowyer.

;)
45# at 27"

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
now that you have a job you can learn one of the most important things you will need, a good work ethic, work hard, fast, keep quiet unless you have a ? , and work safe  ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37:08 pm »
now that you have a job you can learn one of the most important things you will need, a good work ethic, work hard, fast, keep quiet unless you have a ? , and work safe  ;)
X2. Also don't be late. Show 10 minutes early ever time and you will get treated better right off the bat. Good luck kid