Author Topic: Beginner wondering where to put the tip of the arrowhead  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Jodocus

Beginner wondering where to put the tip of the arrowhead
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »
When I have a small shard or spall I want to knap into an arrowhead, one end is usually thicker or has a bulb.

I could make this the base end since that will also be a bit thicker. Or make it the tip cause there I will have more way to go in while thinning it.

What's better?
Don't shoot!

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Beginner wondering where to put the tip of the arrowhead
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:58:59 pm »
There is no real answer to that question. It all depends on any particular given flake. When you work a flake down, the base and tip are always thinner than the middle (in cross section) - you are going for a lens shape in cross section. I'd say whatever your assessment tells you is best for the shape you want to end up with.

Like the saying goes, just knap away everything that is not part of the arrowhead.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:15:33 pm »
If the flake is fairly flat except for the bulb. I will usually try to put the point at the bulb. Its strategerie. It will be easier to thin the tip (bulb) because you have to narrow it down to make it a point. And the base will already be thinner.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:37 pm »
I'm going with Steve on this one, ;D Thick end is the point, When you first start it is hard enough to get the base thin enough for a 3/8 or less shaft material. When I started mounting a few points to shafts I found out how thick my bases really were :( Later Bob

Offline papoints

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
Easier to notch the thin base too.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
I know everyone knaps a little different. I thin the bulb first ,& it usually becomes the base of my point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:04:28 am »
Thanks guys!

When I started mounting a few points to shafts I found out how thick my bases really were :( Later Bob

tell me about it...  ::)
Don't shoot!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:49 am »
For me, the narrower end of the piece is always the tip.  Always.  It's all about getting the most from the material.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »
I like to use the bulb for the point. I want the weight and strength up front and the thinner side in the arrow.  Looks like either way is approved by the previous comments. It has made it easier for me to haft since I have started doing it this way, but I'm far from being considered a resource for knappers. good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)