Author Topic: New poster, is my impulse purchase any good?  (Read 8535 times)

Offline horsetime

Re: New poster, is my impulse purchase any good?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:31:24 am »
Which Ebay bow are you talking about so I know?  The hickory ones or the PVC one?  There are quite a few different PVC ones on Ebay as well.

I'm 5' 3" on a good day.  I'd be fine shooting off my hand if I couldn't find something with an arrow rest.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:35:29 am by horsetime »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
Both. For the most part ebay sellers of bows are just money grabbers because they see opportunity. The "bows" they sell are junk. Anybody that will sell a complete wood bow for $35-40 doesn't have 30 minutes into it, red light. We see people come on here asking how to build a bow and 2 weeks later they have "customers". You can probably tell by now its a peeve of mine. Most of study and work hard to get where we are. 

If you can wait 3-4 weeks I will throw a simple bow together for you. 30# @ 23" sound good?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »
Ok! The bow she posted and removed is in all fairness not a piece of junk. That is a tad of a harsh judgment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handcrafted-English-Style-longbow-45-28-/261243702064

And no I have no connection to the seller nor even an ebay account. But seriously it is well enough for a 1st time archer for the price. As to time spent. I've seen guys bandsaw a bow out in 10 minutes then an hour or 2 of tweaking with drum-sanders and sell them for over 100 dollars. The bow she showed was all wood. Now she is looking at PVC bows. Too much criticism can turn many off.

I make all my bows with 100% hand tools and sometimes all stone tools, but that doesn't mean I can charge 500 dollars because I chose to do it that way. I do it because it's fun and I like to put them in people's hands who may never get the chance to try something like that out. Simple as that.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
That Ebay "bow" is a complete piece of junk. It angers me seeing so many making a joke out of bowery. Id love to meet these idiots in person. How tall are you lefty?

The group the seller purports to be affiliated with and support seem to be a group formed initially by university students in Scotland, UK aimed at promoting historical re-enactment and authentic reproduction of historical artifacts.

http://www.triquetra-services.org/index.html

Odd that they would allow such junk sold in their name.

The only means to contact them is via email directors@triquetra-services.org, which I have, asking them about how their values reflect the quality of the item displayed.

PS. @ TimPotter the link was admin removed (Pat B), and not the wooden one you show, but a bad bad bad pvc joke.
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline warpath

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »
Horsetime-  Pearl Drums is absolutely right!!!!! Most of these Ebay "Bowyers" Learned just enough to make a bow that looks nice strung. However these bows perform terribly if at all and break within a few weeks presuming they even last that long. The PVC bows lose poundage with each shot and are unreliable at best.
  You were, for lack of a better term, ripped off in your purchase by someone who most likely knew that they were ripping you off. I did the renfaire circut for years, and to the best of my knowledge, was the only one selling all wood bows both period and modern style. The rest were selling these modern f@$#%&*%ss bows. At least now you know better. You get what you pay for.
  Hey Pearlie- let me know when you get close to finishing her bow and I will happily throw in a set of arrows for her, no charge at all!!!!! Do you have a preferred set of colors there Horsetime? That way you can at least have a set that fit you and not an "Off the Shelf" set. :)

G

P.S. I would also need to know where to send them so PM me your address

Offline horsetime

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »
Well I have not really made up my mind yet so I'm trying to ask lots of questions so I don't make a mistake again.   I don't like the "modern" looking bows and what interests me about the PVC bows is that they have such a "pretty" curve to them and the possiblity of shooting off my horse, although I'd have to talk to my horse first.  They seem to shoot pretty well and have a large following based on my very limited googling.  There is someone on youtube named backyardbower and he makes some pretty nice performing and looking pvc bows. I'm still open to pretty much anything.

I'm not entirely sure why the links were removed so if someone could explain that I'd appreciate it.  I'm not trying to advertise anything, just trying to get an idea of useability. 

The renfaire guy had several bows to choose from so I'm sure I probably picked the worst one! 

PearlDrums, shoot me some more info on price and all that if you could please.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:19:41 pm by horsetime »

Offline DavidV

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »
Horsetime, I'd jump on Pearldrum's offer if it were me :D
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »
Horsetime, I sent you a PM of why I deleted the direct links you posted. It is against our rules to post a direct link to any commercial site unless they are sponsors of PA(Primitive Archer).
  I agree that you should take Pearl Drums and Warpath up on their offers. Their genersity reflects our Primitive Archer membership to a tea!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline horsetime

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »
I see the PM feature now!  Ooops and thanks!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
P/D and W/P ,you guys blow me away with your generosity!Awesome,just awesome!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 12:45:34 pm »
horsetime, I'm a fellow Hoosier. I attend a lot of traditional archery events around the state, I would be glad to help you out with any archery introduction if you like.

BTW, That offer from pearl drums / warpath is a good one, these are people you can trust!

Offline horsetime

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »
I have taken them up on their offer, thanks so much everyone! 

JacksonCash

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 01:10:56 pm »
Horsetime, Had you posted to reddit a few weeks ago? If so, welcome to the site! And if not... Well welcome to the site anyway!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 01:16:32 pm »
Now come on guys, you are talking about a professional bowyer here......everybody has their skill level.... :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 01:19:25 pm »
Just re-proves my theory on saddle time being totally insignificant.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.