Author Topic: Cape Girardeau Nature Center Bowmaking workshop 2013  (Read 2701 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Cape Girardeau Nature Center Bowmaking workshop 2013
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »
This past weekend 16 bowyers honed their skills at the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center.  Most had bow making experience and wanted to try their hand at Osage orange.  Some had challenging staves while others had down right ornery staves.  >:D Knots, offset handle (pic below), snakes (pic below) and pin knots all posed challenges, but most were taken in stride with glad hearts.   They all worked hard, enjoyed the fellowship and seemed to have learned enough to do this again. 

The Nature Center hosts this class because participants learn about wise use of a natural resource (trees) and use their product to pursue natural resources (wild game).  The process of making your own equipment  (as most of you already know) solidifies awareness of the connection we all have to the land. 

Below are a few pictures of the class with bows in progress.  One final shot is the whole class either with their completed Osage bows or the hickory bows they made in years prior.  We were inside due to some much needed October rain.

What a great class.  I always enjoy the passion these folks bring!

Swamp Monkey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cape Girardeau Nature Center Bowmaking workshop 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
Congrats Monkey. That's the way to get them going. Glad to see the State get involved too.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:18:37 pm »
Very cool! Seems like you posted this event last year. I like it!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:14 pm »
This is awesome! Wish i had known bout this.. we woulda road tripped  ;)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:57:49 pm »
way cool! when you commin out to teach me?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:34:39 am »
Way to pass it on,congrats to all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:42:58 am »
Hey Swamp, let's do it again! My family just back in Missouri (St. Charles) this weekend and will be here for the winter, at least. Would love to get together and stump thumpin, make some bows and get in a little trouble with some local bowyers!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
Its nice to see my home region getting involved. Im originally from Scott City a small town justnsouth of Cape. I left several years ago haven't been back in a long time. Thanks for sharing....kinda makes me home sick lol >:D
Always learning something new.

Offline Loneviking

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:49:01 am »
Thanks for sharing! I've got family in East Prarie so I'll definitely have to keep this event in mind.
Barefoot heathen with a bow!