Author Topic: my first reflex/deflex bow  (Read 7165 times)

Offline BowSlayer

my first reflex/deflex bow
« on: October 03, 2013, 06:17:50 pm »
finnished tillering my very first reflex deflex bow today. it is an un-backed bow, it is made from oak and has a draw weight of 61#@26" im pretty happy about that as i was aiming for 60# so i guesse once i have shot her in it will reach 55-60#. it has a 4" handle 2" fades and 5" static recurves and 22" working limb. and is 60" NTN i will probably have it all finnished up with overlays and finnish by saturday (hopefully) i know the tillering isnt great. thanks for looking and ill have the finnished pics up soon.  ;D

unbraced

braced

F/D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:24:38 pm by BowSlayer »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

Re: my first reflex/deflex bow
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »
You really should consider getting more of your limbs working.  Your left limb is doing all its work in about the first six inches out of the fade while the rest of the limb is near static.  Your right limb is a little better, but still needs to bend more midlimb.  If you look at your unbraced profile, you can see where the hinges have caused the most damage.( set).  You will definitely lose alot of draw weight fixing the tiller.  But I would be quite surprised if that doesn't fold up on ya the way it is.  It's your choice to fix it or not, but i sure would. Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »
You really should consider getting more of your limbs working.  Your left limb is doing all its work in about the first six inches out of the fade while the rest of the limb is near static.  Your right limb is a little better, but still needs to bend more midlimb.  If you look at your unbraced profile, you can see where the hinges have caused the most damage.( set).  You will definitely lose alot of draw weight fixing the tiller.  But I would be quite surprised if that doesn't fold up on ya the way it is.  It's your choice to fix it or not, but i sure would. Josh

x2 what Josh said, i'd rather have a well tillered bow than have it make weight
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:45:27 pm »
get those mid limbs working, more so the left limb. glad to see you making an effort. if you start out with straight limbs that have reflex to them on the outer limbs, then the inner limbs take set, that doesnt make it a R/D lol.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »
Yep. X3.  But it is an improvement over previous models.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:56:07 pm »
While I generally agree that the mid-outer limbs (particularly on the left side) can bend a little more, I don't think this tiller is far off. The mid-outer limbs are stiffer, but I think they are bending some, and it won't take much correction on the left limb to get a the outer limb working more. Be careful not to over correct!

Also it seems that your recurves are actually working a little bit, which is rare, and difficult to achieve/maintain.

All in all, good effort. 61# @ 26 on a 60 inch oak recurve is nothing to sneeze at, and your set seems reasonable for those specs!

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:00:40 pm »
That's actually not to bad AT all just to much bend in the fade get the mid limbs working alittle more and it will be just about perfect and should still be able to keep it around 50 pounds
I like osage

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »
ill do some sanding on the left (lower) limb tommorow and and get it bending nicely. and also the right (upper).  thanks for the advice ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:49:35 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it fine tuned!  You've come along way young man! Josh

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
U should use a pulley and a string with a hook to pull on your tree. Good for exercising the limb and u can draw it and snap a pic instead of leaving it at full draw. 
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 03:38:36 am »
U should use a pulley and a string with a hook to pull on your tree. Good for exercising the limb and u can draw it and snap a pic instead of leaving it at full draw.

Yeah im working on  that but this is working for now.  I think
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:05 am »
Looking forward to seeing it fine tuned!  You've come along way young man! Josh

Thanks Josh ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 09:28:31 am »
Truly good job man.  I'm glad that you took everyone's advice and stuck with it.  You are becoming better and better.   Keep it up. :)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »
Ok fixed that stiffness in the left limb and done some work on the right shot it for about half an hour and boy this thing burys my arrows right into the target so you can only see the Fletching. It has a smooth draw and no hand shock. It did loose a bit of ddraw weight and it is now at 58#@26" which im still happy with.  Im writing this as I wait for the 5 min epoxy on the overlays to dry but im leaving it for an hour before messing about with it.  The overlays are hickory, purpleheart and lemonwood. Then it's filling in the string grooves, final sanding and a few coats of vegetable oil.  Then ill take her down the club and shoot her some more. Ill take pics of it when it's finished.  :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »
Sounds good.  Why veg oil as a finish? Surely you mean danish oil or boiled linseed oil?