Author Topic: White oak flat bow.  (Read 7610 times)

Offline TimPotter

White oak flat bow.
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:22 am »
I'm still working on this at the moment. It was hacked out of a hand's width log about 4 months ago, then I let it dry indoors. Last week I heat tempered the belly.
Then went back to work last night on it. I ended up scraping all the belly down again to bring it to tiller. Now it's so darn white. Time for stain-n-oil and some handle work.

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: White oak flat bow.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
Lookin good at brace where is the full draw :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:31 am »
Looking even better un-strung  ;)

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:07 am »
Yes unstrung it goes pretty much to zero set. I'm still tweaking it a bit not 100% satisfied with the tiller. I took a video of me drawing it about and hour ago and not sure it's spot on yet, but very close. I thought I'd post full draw after the finish is on.  :)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Cool..looks like its taken minimal loss,and looks good unbraced yet to me ;) can't wait to see it all dolled up n bent over ;) ...you gave me motivation to grab a white oak staves out tof the shed last night(something I've been meaning to do but hadn't yet),and ill reduce mine down this week to further dry out

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:04:20 am »
Here is the tiller test vid number 1.) I usually don't share these but I'm open for critique. I think I want to work more on the upper limb.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:04 am »
Thanks Blackhawk. I have a elb sized white-oak sapling too I'm going to work on soon, but 1st you got me motivated to go harvest my crape-myrtle. >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:07 am »
Lol...if I had it around me I'd be cutting some n always keeping a few staves around too ;)  :laugh:

N dang it...my phone won't view photo bucket videos  >:(...I'll have to look on the PC after work  ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
Looking at your brace profile (assuming your bottom limb is on the right), and confirmed by your full draw, it looks to me like the middle of your bottom limb is very stiff. Your bottom limb is really only bending just below the fade.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:03:25 am »
Looking at your brace profile (assuming your bottom limb is on the right), and confirmed by your full draw, it looks to me like the middle of your bottom limb is very stiff. Your bottom limb is really only bending just below the fade.

I see that too, for what it's worth.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:40 am »
Gotta love a bow with no string follow
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »

I see that too, for what it's worth.

+1 more.  That being said, I like it!  The contrast of the white bow with the dark background in the video makes that bow look huge!  I know it's only a trick of the lighting, but it really jumps out at ya.  Josh

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »

I know what you mean, but I actually like my bows to have a wee bit of set. Too much (>1" or so) will rob cast, but a bit of set is a good thing. It means that your limbs aren't overbuilt and carrying too much mass, and a bow with a bit of follow is actually sweeter in the hand to shoot and not as shocky. All else being equal, a bow with set will lose cast, but a loss of 5 fps is not a big deal in my book.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

I know what you mean, but I actually like my bows to have a wee bit of set. Too much (>1" or so) will rob cast, but a bit of set is a good thing. It means that your limbs aren't overbuilt and carrying too much mass, and a bow with a bit of follow is actually sweeter in the hand to shoot and not as shocky. All else being equal, a bow with set will lose cast, but a loss of 5 fps is not a big deal in my book.

I don't mind a tiny bit of follow either
I like osage

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »
Thanks everyone. I went to work on the bottom limb and got that bending better then had to hit the upper limb a bit. Now I feel pretty good with the results. I'll have more pics latter.

I don't mind a bit of string-follow either. I have one elm elb with 2" of string-follow and I love the way it shoots. On this bow I just wanted to prove that white oak doesn't have to be on the bad list for wood that takes excessive set.

The specs are 66" L 2" at fades. 55# at 28". Maybe a wee bit lighter now after some tiller adjustments.