Author Topic: buckthorn???  (Read 4298 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: buckthorn???
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 11:37:10 am »
No i knew it wasnt E Buckthorn...i cant find a pic of a bow made from this stuff ,, but ,, i guess i will document and post ,, im sure American Natives have used it ,maybe more people will start using it.  8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 02:28:23 pm »
Looks like chittamwood to me , I have a few staves of it and my first attempt at it blew .
In the TBB IIII they show chittamwood in the same group as buckthorn .
I had trouble ideing the wood also until I took a limb with leaves and seeds to the wildlife department and they told me what it was , almost harder to find a good clean straight peace of it than osage .

Offline 4dog

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 04:08:06 pm »
In my area i can find good clean straight stuff ..i livein a very rural area though ..lots of it in the woodlines.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
In my area i can find good clean straight stuff ..i livein a very rural area though ..lots of it in the woodlines.

Depending upon how that bow of yours turns out, ... You may be sitting on a gold mine!

OneBow

Offline 4dog

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »
I like gold,, and im just waiting for the first stave to dry .roughed out already.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 10:31:30 pm »
I think I'm with poggins.  It does look like Chittamwood.  I've never made a bow from it, but I have cut a bunch of it.  Full of sap (it's also known as gumwood) that the natives used for gum.  Very heavy until it dries.  If left out in the weather for any time at all it turns to sawdust quickly due to rapid decay and bugs.  If it's dried properly it might behave differently.  Not saying that's what you got for sure, but it's possible.

Gum Bumelia
Sideroxylon Langinosum
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:43:05 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.