Author Topic: stoked about three free seasoned ash staves  (Read 1196 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
stoked about three free seasoned ash staves
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »
 Just got a fCebook message from my ex s dad saying he was bringing me three ash staves from two big logs he has had drying for two years down with him when he comes to florida from wisconsin in a month .... he already debarked them and is splitting them up this week.  Says they are straight with no limbs ..... never worked with ash and am stoked to work a new wood . YES !!!!!!!!!!!! any good lay outs or models for an ash bow ... short long flat elb ect ???
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: stoked about three free seasoned ash staves
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
My favorite ash bow was a mollegabet, but I've made a few ELBs too. If you trap it enough you can make pretty much whatever you want. It's very tension-strong, so even with flat designs it could use a little trapping to avoid set.

Heat treat every chance you get  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »
I hear this term alot and dont wanna look stupid so i never ask ... but that is stupid in its self .. so hear goes ... what is traping ... ??? Is it heat treating it ?
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline skarhand

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:36:03 pm »
I have wondered the same thing...I have a suspicion that it is short for Trapezoid, as in angle the back sides to give it a trapezoidial cross section, but confirmation would be nice. :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:51:22 pm »
if you "trap" the back you are making the back narrower than the belly. This creates a trapezoidal cross-section if you were to cut through your bow and look at the end of the wood. This is something you do to woods that are much stronger in tension than compression, essentially reducing the surface area on the back in order to increase surface area on the compression weak belly.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »
Ok cool thanks

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »
+1 Weylin.

It's a pretty nice look too, especially if the back is darker or lighter than the rest of the bow. I've got a vine maple character bow I'm going to post as soon as I've got pics that has a nice two-tone trapped back.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.