Author Topic: Pressure flaking  (Read 1743 times)

JacksonCash

Pressure flaking
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:03 am »
So, worked some more with the rocks I got with my kit. Broke off some "usable" pieces. I may try setting some of these into wooden handles or something. At any rate, I tried my hand at pressure flaking. I've got a lot of learning to do on that front as well! Going to do a bit of reading and watch some of the videos folks have linked me to. Hopefully this weekend will get me some supplies- I've destroyed just about everything I have currently.

Offline bowmo

Re: Pressure flaking
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »
All part of the learning curve. Lots of good stone turned into gravel in the beginning. Keep at it!

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »
I joke with the wife that we can just save it all up and re-gravel the driveway, or make a nice walking path. Just, no bare feet!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:11 pm »
Lol...
Glass is cheap and fairly easy to learn preassure flaking on IMO.
then agian, I have only worked glass and a tiny bit of Obsidian
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:04 am »
You need to hit some knappins for some hands on and work on stone or glass or anything else you can lay hands on. Watching someone use an Ishi stick will put you light years ahead of reading how to use one.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JacksonCash

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
I agree cowboy. Know any in the central new york area? I may be able to sit in on a couple of the experimental archaeology classes at my wife's university this fall as well. I gather her professor is really good.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »

By all means go to that class!  Also, proper preparation of platforms, and abrading them is of the utmost importance.  And a LOT pressure applied.  My flakes were not running very far, till I applied a LOT of pressure on the platforms, then gave a sideways push with my knees, now they run fairly long.  Still have a ways to go in the learning process.  Still in the functional use arrowhead stage, and not in the pretty stuff category yet.  I would not hesitate to hunt with any of the keepers I make, but they are not show pieces like some of the stuff on here.  I work with Obsidian, as it is all I have.  Some day, when I have something to trade, I will trade for some Texas stuff, and try to see what I can do  with that.  I had a couple of pieces of it once, but it needed to be heat treated, and I didn't have anything at the time to do that with.  But one day........  Good luck, and Gravel is learning.  Yep tonnage is a common word in learning to knapp. 

Wayne

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
Jackson Cash, There is a small one day knapin at Letchworth Park on Oct 26 2013. Starts at 10 in the morning at the High Banks recreation area an is in the South Pavillion, Not very big but some real good knappers and very helpful people attend this. Usually have at least one rock vendor also. Letchworth is south of Rochester an also south of I90, hope this helps and maybe I will see ya there.  Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:50:20 pm »
I don't know much about that part of the country. I'd do what Bob says  :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:51:09 am »
There is also a bunch of guys that get together within about a half hour of Ithica? I think. Once a month. I can find out where and when for you. Pm me an email and I'll send you theirs

JacksonCash

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »
Jackson Cash, There is a small one day knapin at Letchworth Park on Oct 26 2013. Starts at 10 in the morning at the High Banks recreation area an is in the South Pavillion, Not very big but some real good knappers and very helpful people attend this. Usually have at least one rock vendor also. Letchworth is south of Rochester an also south of I90, hope this helps and maybe I will see ya there.  Bob

This sounds great Bob! It's a bit of a haul from where I'm at (Opposite side of the finger lakes) but I'll start making some plans for it! Thanks for the heads up.