Author Topic: "Sow's Ear"  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Onebowonder

"Sow's Ear"
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:34 pm »
This is the bow I made for the Red Oak Board Bow Trade.  Actually, she's the 5th one I made for that trade.  Two previous broke and two others came in WAY under weight.  In any case, my recipient has been EXCEPTIONALLY patient and encouraging, and I persisted till I persuaded a piece of Red Oak to become a bow.

This is a Molly with silk backing for the working portion of the limbs.  She has a 'Z' shaped handle and a golf tee style arrow shelf under the leather grip.  The tips are Black Walnut and the pinky width levers have string grooves and are built up to provide a bit of a curved effect.

She is tillered out to 51# @ 28", but was only shot in at around 26" (I have short arms!)  She's a BIG girl at 74" tip to tip and around 72.5" NTN.  I find her exceptionally smooth to draw, and she shoots as accurately as the best bows I've ever shot, (...which is not to say too much since I am a LOUSY shot!)

Anyways, here are the PIX...

OneBow

BTW - I'm really stoked to have shipped her off today - - - because that means that now I finally get to open up the one doulosparachristos sent me so long ago!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:32:00 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Onebowonder

Re: "Sow's Ear"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:27:22 pm »
More Pix:

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:46 pm »
OH MAN IS THAT SWEET!!!! Love the bow, if i were the guy getting it i would be super patient as well.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:51:13 pm »
nice work.love the z handle.very unique.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline echatham

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
don't you have grain runout in the handle and fades?  seems like a risky design to me, but....my disclaimer: "im new at this"

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:53:41 pm »
The fades are non bending for a full two inches past the 'Z' handle, which makes for a really long handle!  ...but it provides safety for the cut out handle.  And just because I tend to over build everything, there is a long brace behind the handle lammed in and under the wrap.

OneBow

Offline raghorns

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:17 am »
OneBow...that is awesome!

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:50 am »
Cool bow,glad you got her done, way to be persistant,thats what it takes sometime. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:20:54 am »
Nice to see you finish the job onebow! You can see the thoughtfulness you put into that bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:57:23 am »
Flat out AWESOME!!!! Love what you did with the handle. Makes it stand out from the crowd that's for sure.
Really nice work.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:25 am »
Nice work on that one!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:53 am »
Goes to show a red oak board can make a REAL bow too! I really like that one.

JacksonCash

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 10:44:59 am »
Really nice! I like the look of the silk on the back, and of course that handle!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:41 pm »
really like the handle on that one.  Very original.  I hope it holds up.  Did the wood grow that way, did you bend it to shape, or did you just carve / cut the handle on the bias?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:24 pm »
Very cool!  Way to see it through!
1’—>1’